Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Explain to me (in English) how I can get a 2001 iMac to connect to WiFi

Okay so I really want to buy a 2001 iMac because of nostalgia. But is it possible to hook it up to the AT&T WiFi at my house? how exactly would Ido it? I'm not sure the name of the type I would buy but it's the 2001 color kind.Please use layman terms. Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:39 AM

Possible? Well depends how you define possible. You can set the AT&T WiFi to except the extremely insecure WEP or WPA1 encryption, and add an original Airport card User uploaded file

(not Extreme) to your iMac, and be limited to 1/3rd to 1/6th the wireless speed normally available on current WiFi routers. Or you can add what is called a WiFi ethernet bridge and get the current WiFi speeds up to the 100 Mbps ethernet speed of your iMac. Ethernet is the slightly wider than a standard telephone jack connector you'll find in the side panel of your iMac. Also you do not need to tear apart your iMac to install the WiFi ethernet bridge. You would with the original airport card. Also depending on the age of the iMac you may also need this adapter to fit in the card:

http://www.welovemacs.com/aicaad.html

So it is really up to you.

USB on the iMac is 1.1, so WiFi USB dongles would be only 15 Mbps per second and slow down to that speed for any other machine on your wireless network.

An Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has a LAN port, and can use that port as an ethernet WiFi bridge for the iMac as well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 8:39 AM in response to BetterThanTheFruit

Possible? Well depends how you define possible. You can set the AT&T WiFi to except the extremely insecure WEP or WPA1 encryption, and add an original Airport card User uploaded file

(not Extreme) to your iMac, and be limited to 1/3rd to 1/6th the wireless speed normally available on current WiFi routers. Or you can add what is called a WiFi ethernet bridge and get the current WiFi speeds up to the 100 Mbps ethernet speed of your iMac. Ethernet is the slightly wider than a standard telephone jack connector you'll find in the side panel of your iMac. Also you do not need to tear apart your iMac to install the WiFi ethernet bridge. You would with the original airport card. Also depending on the age of the iMac you may also need this adapter to fit in the card:

http://www.welovemacs.com/aicaad.html

So it is really up to you.

USB on the iMac is 1.1, so WiFi USB dongles would be only 15 Mbps per second and slow down to that speed for any other machine on your wireless network.

An Apple Airport Extreme Base Station has a LAN port, and can use that port as an ethernet WiFi bridge for the iMac as well.

Explain to me (in English) how I can get a 2001 iMac to connect to WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.