Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto is crashing on startup

Could someone please give me some prompt advice? After spending hours at the week-end sorting images in iPhoto into specific folders for a Christmas photo project I am working on, iPhoto is now crashing on start-up. This has never happened before. I also have a Macbook Pro which I recently upgraded from Lion to El Capitan, with a view to practising with it before upgrading my iMac (running Mountain Lion 10.8.5) to El Capitan. I intended to export the newly created folders in iPhoto to my laptop using USB. So, my question is this……Should I ignore the iPhoto glitch and upgrade to El Capitan now or should I try to fix the problem before upgrading? I have backed up to Time Capsule. All photos are visible in that external drive and also, momentarily, when iPhoto launches but, blink and it crashes. Many thanks to anyone who can help me access my photos and complete my project.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 3:54 AM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for responding. I continued to search the Communities after my post and discovered a similar one with a solution that I tried and it worked. I recalled that iPhoto was crashing when I clicked on "info" and then eventually it just crashed each time I opened it.

This is my first post on the Communities so, apologies, but I'm not sure how to join this response to the one that solved the problem for me. I'm sure there must be a way. So, rather than explain something I don't understand, I've cut and pasted the solution here, which was from Old Toad.

1. go to the /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources folder

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

iPhoto will no longer crash while the locations feature is no longer a viable feature.

As I say, this has solved the problem for me, although I don't know why!! It would be useful to know, however, if disabling the locations feature will cause me problems when I upgrade to El Capitan soon.

Iphoto is crashing on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.