Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks repeatedly deleted from iPhone and iPad

My iBooks keep getting deleted from my iPad and iPhone. I'll pause for a time in reading a book and when I come back to it, I have to download it again. The books are available in the cloud, but I often discover that they been deleted at inopportune times when I don't have wifi and, sometimes, not even cell service. I can't identify a setting that appears to either allow or prevent books from being deleted. I'v seen several posts on the forum where folks's books have disappeared completely, but none related to the issue that I've run into. Has anybody had this problem? If so, is there a solution?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 11:39 PM

1 reply

Nov 29, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Doug P

I'm having the same issue, with a minor variation: the iBooks on my iPad remain intact, but the ones on my iPhone sync to the device alright, but as soon as I open iBooks on my iPhone there's some activity with a spinning circle in the upper right hand corner and I can literally see the books being deleted before my eyes. When I connect the iPhone to iTunes, I can see that it has inexplicably changed the sync setting to partial sync instead of complete sync. Nothing I do has been able to break this cycle; I've removed all the books from the iPhone, rebooted the phone and started fresh, but it always happens. I don't use iBooks in OS X to manage them, but iTunes. iBooks was too unstable and offered too few options for customizing tags in the books.

I've been looking for a solution to this for some time now, and while I've come across others who have had this problem, there have been no reliable solutions. It's worth noting that none of this happens with the iPad, and it's syncing the same books, the settings are the same on both devices, and all of my books are .epub format. Both devices are on iOS 9.0.2, and I'm on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

iBooks repeatedly deleted from iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.