Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UNABLE TO ACCESS MY BACKUP DISK...

Hello!

I set up my LaCie disk to work with the Time Machine, as a backup disk. I set up a password to lock my disk, but unfortunately I forgot the password I entered in the setup process and now I CANNOT ACCESS MY DISK ANYMORE!! My Mac Book Pro is asking me "Enter the password to unlock the disk", but I don't remember it wright and so, I can't access neither my data, nor the installation program that is by default onto the disk in order - at least - to reinstall the disk from the beginning as a Time Machine backup disk and to set up a new access password. Please, help me to access my disk!

I have a MacBook Pro with retina 15" display, from 2015 running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. The LaCie disk I'm using with Time Machine as a backup disk is a 3TB 2 x thunderbolt 2 disk.

Thank you for your kindly help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), LaCie 3TB 2 x thunderbolt 2 disk

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 4:21 AM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2015 7:25 AM in response to diovat

On your Mac.....Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Base Station menu.....up at the top of the screen where you see the other menus like File, Help, Window, etc

Click Show Passwords to see if the disk password is there

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you, Bob, but my LaCie backup disk I'm using with Time Machine is connected to my Mac through a thunderbolt 2 connection cable... I don't have a Time Capsule wirelessly connected for backing up my Mac, but a wire-connected external LaCie disk... I've tried what you've just told me, but there's no picture of the Time Capsule on my AirPort Utility, so...

Do you know something else which could help me...?

Thank you, anyway!

Nov 23, 2015 10:13 AM in response to diovat

Unfortunately, we don't know whether you used LaCie software to save the password or Mac software. You could try KeyChain Access on your Mac to see if you can retrieve the password that way.

Finder > Applications > Utilities > KeyChain Access

Look for a listing that says something like "Disk Password" or "Drive Password"

If it appears, double click on the listing, then click Show Password in the window, then enter the administrator password for your Mac in the next window that appears.

If still no luck, contact LaCie support to ask them where the disk password is stored on a Mac.

UNABLE TO ACCESS MY BACKUP DISK...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.