Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac users won't automatically save to network home folder

Hi All,

I'm currently managing a Mac network of 24 clients and a server running v5. I have created users and set their home folders as an directory on an external drive connected to my server. The drive mounts and the users have access to it. But anytime they save work on their desktop for example it still only seems to save to the local client machine and not the network home folder. They then can drag it into the network home folder. Is there a way to change it some that the network home folder is always used?

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Mac Server 5

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 4:38 AM

1 reply

Nov 23, 2015 9:24 AM in response to CiaranMcN

Did you define the share point as a network home folder share point? I suspect this is the step you missed.

Double click your shared folder. You will want to check the box "Home directories over" and set your protocol. Open Directory is required to do this. And that means DNS is also required. You don't need, nor should you define an ACE on the parent folder. This is one of the few times that POSIX permissions are acceptable.

Once you have the network mount defined, go back to each user account and edit their home folder path. The Network Mount you defined above will now be an option in the Home Folder popup menu. Select it. This should create the user's home folder in the defined path. If you have already created folders there, you should be ok as long as the user IDs are not changing.

Next, each workstation must be bound to the open directory domain. If they are, and you don't have a local account with the same name, then you will be able to login to the network home folder.

I suggest you follow the steps above and create a new user in the process. Someone that has not existed in the past. Confirm that you can do the network login with this account and then go back and edit existing account.

Oh, and while Profile Manager is not a requirement to get Net Homes working, redirection of cache folders basically is. And the easiest way to implement that is to use Profile Manager to define a custom policy.

Hope this helps. You are close.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author of Yosemite Server and Mavericks Server books

Mac users won't automatically save to network home folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.