Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not charging via USB on newer Macs?

Hi there,

First I thought it was from a phone (previously had a 4s), but I upgraded it to a 5s and tested at my office on different Mac, so, my problem is as it follows:

if I plug my iPhone to the USB (any) of an Mac (Macbook Air, Pro, iMac) that is newer than (let's say) 2013, then my iPhone will just burst in notifications with charging/charged/charging/charge and so on...

if I plug my iPhone to an old Macbook Pro (2010 model) or a Mac Pro (mid 2010), it will charge flawlessly with no problems.

I tried with the original and a 3$ cable, the problem is the same.

Anyone have any suggestions? Overall I got an Air and I can't charge my iPhone to it, because it will just ruin the system/battery in time.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 1:01 AM

Hi,

have you been able to solve this problem? I'm struggling with the same issue with my 2013 iMac. Exactly the same thing. I tried to put there a USB flash memory and it works completely fine - no continuous reconnecting as it is with my iPhones, iPad using various cables.

I would be thankful for any help!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2017 1:01 AM in response to rwkyyy

Hi,

have you been able to solve this problem? I'm struggling with the same issue with my 2013 iMac. Exactly the same thing. I tried to put there a USB flash memory and it works completely fine - no continuous reconnecting as it is with my iPhones, iPad using various cables.

I would be thankful for any help!

Nov 24, 2015 12:13 PM in response to rwkyyy

Hello rwkyyy,
I understand that you are having issues with charging your iPhone with different Mac's. Let's see if we can get this sorted out.
I would start with the two articles below. The first will focus on issues with your iPhone plugged in and having issues and helps with isolation. I know you have it down to specific models, but this is good information to further test power issues. The second will be more specific on your iPhone to test the cables and power adapter. I am unsure if you have tried testing with a power adapter to see if the iPhone is having the same issue.
Resolve USB-related alerts in iTunes
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203843

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203030

Let me know if this helps or need further assistance.
Take care

Nov 24, 2015 1:12 PM in response to norm123

Forgot to mention, if I use the original charger got no problems, only when I connect it to a newer Mac 😟

Weird tho, tried today at almost 100% battery(iPhone), it blinked 2-3 times then it was OK, charged to full and could do my business.

Just to be specific, I got this problem only on newer Macs (iMac, Macbook Air, Macbook Pro).

iPhone not charging via USB on newer Macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.