Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Query about Notification (App look-alike) on locked screen to the left of the 'Slide to Unlock' button

Hi,

In iOS 9, I have noticed a 'feature' about which I am unable to find more information about. Occasionally I have noticed, on my locked screen, after a wake up my phone (still on the locked screen though), when the 'slide to unlock' option becomes visible, I can see the camera icon to the right, but at the same time I see another icon to the left of 'slide to unlock'.

This icon is a replica of some of the Apps I have installed on the iPhone. For e.g. each night I get an email from a job website, and I also have the App installed. Almost every day I launch the App to view the list of jobs available as only 20 are listed in the email. The email comes in between 00:00 - 02:00 Hrs. while I check the App when I wake up in the morning. When I wake up I see the App's icon (in black and white though) on the locked screen. This is on Wi-Fi. I do not have this App installed on any other iOS device at home. The MacBook that I access the website on is in sleep mode during that time but the website is not open on Safari at that time.

A couple of days when I walked into the supermarket that I frequently visit, I saw the icon of the App that I have used in the past, when buying groceries. I always use this App when I have an extended list. This time around I just had a couple of items to purchase and hence I did not need to enter any list into the App. Yet the App came up as a prompt.

Today when I checked my iPhone before leave for work, there was no icon visible. When I reached my office, there was a package awaiting me at my desk, that I had purchased from eBay. Surprisingly, when I checked my iPhone few minutes later, I could see the eBay App icon in that same location.

Does anyone have any idea what these notifications are and how does one use it or access more information about it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 10:59 AM

Here is an article about the feature.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/06/03/ios-8-lock-screen-ibeacons/

2 replies

Nov 23, 2015 11:02 AM in response to RobReich

Thanks Rob. iBeacon. That's the term that wasn't coming to my mind all this while.

Tthe link you sent explains about iBeacon which I was aware of, but I'm not sure how it manages showing me the job seeking App ibeacon every night without fail, when I'm asleep at my place or even the eBay one that I saw today. It just had me stumped which is what aroused my curiosity.

Query about Notification (App look-alike) on locked screen to the left of the 'Slide to Unlock' button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.