Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I played a few songs from my external hard drive. Now they are somehow downloaded to my hard drive and in iTunes?

Hello,

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro. I'm finally getting around to trying to mess around with iTunes and set up an iPod Shuffle that I just bought. I'm trying to run iTunes off an external hard drive, but that's a whole other question.

Right now, my concern is, yesterday when I was organizing some music on my external HD, I happened to play a few tracks from the hard drive. The files were somehow automatically downloaded to my laptop's hard drive and are in iTunes. I don't want this as I don't want my music on my computer, I'm trying to maintain space.

Is this some sort of new feature in iTunes? I haven't used this new iTunes at all and I am finding it very confusing/hate it. I have the most current version, 12. 3. 1. 23. I also have OS X El Capitan.

I don't want every song I play off external hard drive to automatically download to my internal hard drive. Why did this happen? I swear, all I pressed was "play," or rather double clicked to play. Is there a way to turn off this feature? Sorry to be dense.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:04 AM

1 reply

Nov 23, 2015 9:24 AM in response to lxb045

Is this some sort of new feature in iTunes?

Nothing new. Every single version of iTunes since iTunes 1 has had a default setting for media to be copied to the hard drive. Go into Preferences >Advanced and see where it is set to store media. Note that media is not the same as "library" which is an entire iTunes folder. Usually it is recommended you store the entire library on the external drive, not just media.

Image of folder structure and explanation of different iTunes versions (turingtest2 post) - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392 and making an iTunes library portable.

I played a few songs from my external hard drive. Now they are somehow downloaded to my hard drive and in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.