Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

First time iMac owner, wireless/networking terribly slow

Unplugged windows machine , plugged in iMac. Networking and wireless incredibly, irritatingly slow. 150 hours to transfer files from windows to MAC? 24 hours to download software via Steam- although I don't know that for sure; it was still downloading when I left for work this morning. . Any suggestions for fixing this?

All other devices are functioning normally. It is not my connection into the house, it is specifically the iMac.

Gotta say I am disappointed so far. Family encouraged me to go apple and considering how expensive they are I expected something really impressive. So far the service at the store and the functioning of the equipment at home has been less than stellar.

I believe the operating system is El Capitan but I need to check when I get home. Seeing as I just picked up the machine it should be the newest software.

Thanks for any suggestions....

iMac, iOS 9.1, 8 mgs ram 2 TB

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:43 AM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2015 10:48 AM in response to cmofames

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Nov 23, 2015 11:34 AM in response to cmofames

Sorry the service wasn't great at the store--it's really a hit or miss store wise. I've been in some stores that just blow you away with customer service--while they're busy, too--and others that just make you think, "Is it really worth all this trouble?"

Use that call like Linc Davis mentioned! Since you have the warranty, they'll either be able to help troubleshoot the issue or prepare a spot for you at your local certified Mac shop (I speak from experience). I have exchanged a laptop within a few days due to screen and hard drive issues. They stuck around as I setup the new one and then transferred everything over for me. Not sure if that's usual, but I did appreciate it.

I had a similar problem with a MacBook Air I purchased a few years back. Beside it always losing the WiFi connection, it would take rather long to find available networks. My buddy had the same model and his was completely fine. I also have a 2011 iMac that has a strong WiFi connection (cord free for four years) so it's very possible you just got a rare lemon.

First time iMac owner, wireless/networking terribly slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.