Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Cannot Open Page - Unexpectedly dropped connection

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Laptop was working flawlessly until about a month ago. At that point I started having intermittent issues with Safari. The problems now extend outside of Safari to other web apps, Messages, etc.

Symptoms:

Opening Safari to SOME pages (but not all) results in the following error message:

Safari Can't Open the page "<page Name>" because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait a few minutes, and then try again.

The server is NOT busy and I can surf the same URLs using Chrome from the same computer.

Shortly after this started happening, I started having other weird issues. For example: I can't logon to Messages with my iCloud ID. However, I am able to log on from my iPhone and to discussions.apple.com using the same ID and password. Certain functions of Outlook for Mac (ones that appear to use web features) cause Outlook to crash. I also receive weird certificate errors from time to time indicating that certificates that I know to be valid (because I own the server) are not due to the intermediate CA not being available.

The start of the issues seem to align with using my laptop at a customer's site. The customer requires me to use their guest WiFi for my laptop when onsite. The guest WiFi uses some flavor of DNS hijacking to create a captured portal. I suspect there is something cached on my laptop that directs a key function to an address on proxy/portal.

Steps I've taken so far:

-Apply all available updates (short of upgrading OS).

-Reset the login key chain.

-Removed cookies and website data.

-Temporarily updated DNS server to point to Google exclusively.

-Tried alternate internet connections (iPhone-Verizon, TW Cable)

I'm at a loss. If I cannot resolve this easily, I'll probably just rebuild the machine. However, I'd like to understand WHY it happened before I get out the sledgehammer.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Safari Messages

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:32 AM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2015 2:00 PM in response to jason.rohm

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Safari Cannot Open Page - Unexpectedly dropped connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.