Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages 5.6.1 prints gray instead of black. All other colors print correctly.

I have an iMac with El Capitan 10.11.1, Pages 5.6.1 (updated11/14/2015), and HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One. I've only had the problem since updating Pages. So far I've tried several things: I've restarted the computer, reloaded the printer software, updated the printer software today (version 3.1) and adjusted the opacity scale. Nothing has helped. What should I do to get my printing back to black?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 9:01 AM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Patlovesjim

Create a new Pages document from a blank template. Type in the word Foo in Helvetica, and enlarge to 400%. Click on the text color wheel, and select the second toolbar item which is the sliders. Ensure that your text opacity is 100%. Use the color picker and select the center portion of any letter. Is your black showing RGB (0, 0, 0) and hex #000000?

Your printer deals in CMYK. Even though your document text may show RGB (0, 0, 0), the CMYK black setting is (74, 71, 64, 87). Not exactly true black in CMYK terms.

Nov 23, 2015 10:02 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for the advice. I'm getting a darker gray now (MUCH better than the paler version); in the 400% enlargement the letters look striped, but when I print in 20% , it looks like a darker gray. I noticed on the sliders that after setting the hex # to 87, when I hit the Print button it changes to 4A4740, and even putting in 000087 didn't help. Do you suppose that is part of the problem I am having?

Pages 5.6.1 prints gray instead of black. All other colors print correctly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.