Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my ipad2 auto back up not working?

My ipad auto backup to iCloud has stopped working. This iPad has not been backed up automatically in over six weeks. Backup is turned on in settings as well as lock system. I plug the iPad in overnight most every evening. How large are these backup files? I know that these backups only have a list of all apps, music, and such which are re-downloaded during a restore from backup. Also, I read somewhere in the backup instructions that I must do a complete reset in order to access my iCloud backup. This means loosing all settings, stored passwords, favorites, etc. Will these be restored by the backup? I'm running iOS 8.4. This ipad has 10.8gb of apps and data with 2.2gb of free space. Stored data probably does not equal .5gb. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

PS. I'd like to suggest that a System Questions posting category button be added below this message window.

iPad 2, iOS 8.4

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 2:28 PM

Hi

This sometimes happens you can check this anytime & backup now

On settings - iCloud - backup now .

Cheers

Brian

3 replies

Nov 23, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Briansyddall

Thanks Brian for your quick response. I forgot to mention in my first post that I have done a couple of manual backups over the past few weeks, but I'd like to have the system working properly so,I don't have to be concerned with it. I'm a reasonably advanced user in Mac, Windows, Linux and the iPad, and when I can't reason out an answer or fix to this kind of problem, something is broken. I'm not a programmer, though I understand the basics of C++. But since Apple wont allow OS access there are no tools available to fix these kinds of system errors. I could upgrade to 9.1 and that would probably fix the issue, but there are still too many users having issues with 9.1 for my comfort, so I want to wait a while to let the new OS settle down a bit. Hopefully the next.Revision will run smoothly for us skeptics.

Nov 23, 2015 10:20 PM in response to sodypop2

Solved the problem. Deleted the old backup file on the iCloud in Settings/iCloud/Storage/Manage Storage/backups/this iPad backup/delete backup. Plugged in iPad and closed cover to lock. When I checked a couple hours later I had a new 305mgb backup file. The previous file I deleted had been about 350mgb, but I made some some adjustments to old apps and apps for which I do need a backup, so 305mgb seems reasonable.

Why is my ipad2 auto back up not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.