Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video output cuts out after upgrade to El Capitan

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM. I've had it running Mavericks and earlier systems and never experienced this problem.

Since upgrading to El Capitan the video port will cut out for a few seconds. I'm a teacher that gives a lot of presentations and this is very disruptive. Has anyone else experienced video problems since upgrading to El Capitan? Is there anything, short of reinstalling the OS, I can do about this problem?

I don't mind reinstalling the OS but first I'm hoping there's a less disruptive fix, like deleting the video preferences or something. I know they are in ~/Library/Preferences but I don't know which ones to kill.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 16GB RAM

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:48 AM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Jason McDonald

According to Apple's specifications, that model can use at most 8 GB of memory, but you've installed 16 GB. The results are unpredictable. I know that the aftermarket RAM vendor says that the configuration will work. If you accept that assurance, please ask the vendor for help with any problems you have. Otherwise, reinstall the original memory, or new memory that meets the official specifications.

Nov 24, 2015 7:15 AM in response to etresoft

I don't have the original RAM any more; I'm not sure why the upgrade to El Capitan would have invalidated the RAM when it worked under Mavericks and Yosemite?

I am connecting via Apple Display Port to an Acer monitor with a ADP to DVI cable. I am also connecting with both Apple branded dongles and third party dongles to a variety of projectors - mostly Hitachi and SmartTech, but occasionally InFocus. The video drop outs occur on all projectors, and other devices, not running El Capitan, work without drop outs on those projectors.

I spent some time with Apple Tech Support, which was very helpful even though the unit wasn't in warranty. They reset the SMC and we zapped the PRAM. Neither had any effect.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Nov 24, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Jason McDonald

Hello again Jason,

Have you tried other outputs than DVI? Maybe try installing Mavericks or Yosemite on an external hard drive, booting from that, and trying the same projector. Then you should definitely have an answer.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid this just may be the new normal. A few years ago, we Mac users were pretty notorious at conferences and presentations for always being the ones to save the day when someone's PC didn't work. But just in my own experience the past couple of years, I have been the one up on stage with my Mac looking like a fool. Even at home, I have to use my Thunderbolt connection with VGA because HDMI is just so flaky. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than VGA. I strongly recommend just using an iPad instead.

Video output cuts out after upgrade to El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.