Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete OSX Server Software Updates?

I installed OS X Server on El Capitan a while ago and recently noticed my 500 GB boot drive was about out of space! I have all media on an external drive and I use Time Machine so I typically run about 125 GB on my Mac's HDD. The Disk Utility indicated there was a whole lot of "Other" going on. Hmm, back to Finder & located the Server/Software Update folder was stuffed with updates, sometimes multiples/day. So, before I start deleting them, are there any ramifications to deleting these updates to recover some space? I do have them backed up if I ever need to restore them (but doubt I would ever be able to restore them all in the future if really needed). Seems like there should be a background process that cleans these up if not needed but I remember Microsoft Server updates used to do the same thing (accumulate).

Thanks in advance!

ScottUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 10:44 AM

Might I suggest you shut down Software Update server and enable Caching Server?

Now, if you are behind a proxy, I can understand not. But if you are on a simple network, I think you will find that Caching Server does everything you want Software Update server to do. You can define a storage limit, it will auto-purge unused cached content, requires no client side configuration, and works with both OS X (10.8.2 and higher) and iOS (iOS 7 and higher).

Now if you are supporting legacy OSs or have network limits, then I can understand the need for Software Update server. If you must continue to use it then I would suggest setting the mode to manual, purging your existing repository, and then selecting only the installers you want to support on your network. If you have a consistent deployment this is relatively easy. If you are supporting multiple OSs it gets tough.

Hope this helps

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author of Yosemite Server and Mavericks Server books

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 10:44 AM in response to MRYFLYGUY

Might I suggest you shut down Software Update server and enable Caching Server?

Now, if you are behind a proxy, I can understand not. But if you are on a simple network, I think you will find that Caching Server does everything you want Software Update server to do. You can define a storage limit, it will auto-purge unused cached content, requires no client side configuration, and works with both OS X (10.8.2 and higher) and iOS (iOS 7 and higher).

Now if you are supporting legacy OSs or have network limits, then I can understand the need for Software Update server. If you must continue to use it then I would suggest setting the mode to manual, purging your existing repository, and then selecting only the installers you want to support on your network. If you have a consistent deployment this is relatively easy. If you are supporting multiple OSs it gets tough.

Hope this helps

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author of Yosemite Server and Mavericks Server books

Can I delete OSX Server Software Updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.