Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the blue status icon mean?

It is at the top of the watch face and is like the red icon for an unread notification but is a blue dot. This is with ïŁżWatch OS 2.0.0

Apple Watch, watchOS 2

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 11:39 AM

Hi

The blue padlock icon means that your Apple Watch is locked.

User uploaded file

Tap your watch face to enter the passcode and unlock your watch.

The blue Do Not Disturb icon means that you have enabled Do Not Disturb mode.

User uploaded file

To disable this mode, swipe up on your watch face, swipe left / right to the Settings glance, then tap on the Do Not Disturb icon to deselect the mode.

There are no other blue status icons.

More information about status icons: Status icons on Apple Watch

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 11:39 AM in response to romad

Hi

The blue padlock icon means that your Apple Watch is locked.

User uploaded file

Tap your watch face to enter the passcode and unlock your watch.

The blue Do Not Disturb icon means that you have enabled Do Not Disturb mode.

User uploaded file

To disable this mode, swipe up on your watch face, swipe left / right to the Settings glance, then tap on the Do Not Disturb icon to deselect the mode.

There are no other blue status icons.

More information about status icons: Status icons on Apple Watch

Nov 23, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Jonathan UK

Nope, it is neither of those, but as I said it is just a round dot exactly like the "Unread Message" notification EXCEPT it is blue, not red. The blue is a darker shade than that of the padlock icon, but not as purple as the Do Not Disturb crescent icon. If I remember, I'll try to take a picture of it next time.

And no I will not be putting iOS 9.1 or watchOS 2.0.1 on until the bugs are fixed. I've heard too many reports of problems with both right now. I'll wait for iOS 9.2 and watchOS 2.1 to see if they are OK.

Nov 23, 2015 3:00 PM in response to romad

romad wrote:

And no I will not be putting iOS 9.1 or watchOS 2.0.1 on until the bugs are fixed. I've heard too many reports of problems with both right now. I'll wait for iOS 9.2 and watchOS 2.1 to see if they are OK.

iOS 9.1 and watchOS 2.0.1 include bug fixes for issues with the software versions that you are currently using.

Instructions for updating are available here:

Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Update the software on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Nov 23, 2015 3:59 PM in response to Jonathan UK

But from the reports I've seen whatever bugs are in 9.1 & 2.0.0 that MIGHT be fixed, are not as problematic as ones people are having during/after the updates. There is one that even the Apple Store people can't fix even when replacing the malfunctioning phone with one out of the box then updating to 9.2. Apparently phones that come with iOS 9.2 originally installed are fine; updating from 9.1 to 9.2 seems to be a problem.

BTW, what bugs are 9.2 & 2.0.1 supposed to fix; I have seen any during my use of 9.1 & 2.0.0 (unless this blue dot thing is caused by a bug).

Nov 23, 2015 4:10 PM in response to romad

Edit doesn't seem to work so here is my previous post again.

I checked that chart before I posted the question. Here are some steps to take to understand my previous descriptions:

1. Look at the first icon in the chart above.

2. Change the COLOR from red to BLUE. Like this:

User uploaded file

That is the best description I can give you. (I copied the red dot and changed the color in GraphicConvertor)

Nov 23, 2015 4:30 PM in response to romad

The current software versions are:

• For iPhone: iOS 9.1 (not yet 9.2);
  • For Apple Watch: watchOS 2.0.1.

watchOS 2.0.1 contains new emoji characters, performance improvements, and bug fixes, including:

• Various security-related updates;
  • Fixes issues that were impacting battery performance;
  • Addresses an issue that could prevent location information from updating properly;
  • Fixes an issue that could cause software updates to stall;
  • Resolves an issue that prevented a managed iPhone from syncing iOS Calendar events to the watch;
  • Fixes an issue that could cause Digital Touch to be sent from an email address instead of a phone number;
  • Addresses an issue that could cause instability when using a Live Photo as a watch face;
  • Resolves an issue that allowed sensors to stay on indefinitely after using Siri to measure heart rate.

iOS has similarly been updated with numerous security-related updates, new features and bug fixes through versions 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and 9.1.

I suggest that you update your software (taking care to follow the instructions that are available via the links in my previous reply) and then check whether your issue persists.

Nov 27, 2015 8:15 AM in response to romad

I received notification of a reply by JamesMacak but I don't see it.

James, I'll look into your suggestion but there hasn't been a repeat of the icon yet.

As I remember it happening, I received the notification (with the RED dot) of an unread message. It was after I had read the message that I saw the blue dot. What I can't remember is if I was still on a notification screen or the watch screen. Oh, the first thing I do before putting on the watch is unlock it so that is why there wasn't a locked icon.

Edit. I didn't fire up the iMac yesterday so I hope everyone in these United States had a Happy Thanksgiving!

<Edited By Host>

Nov 27, 2015 8:19 AM in response to romad

romad wrote:

As I remember it happening, I received the notification (with the RED dot) of an unread message. It was after I had read the message that I saw the blue dot.

You may be describing the colour change icon for Digital Touch:

User uploaded file

A small blue dot will also be shown next to any Friends on your watch who have sent you an unseen Digital Touch.

More information: Use Digital Touch - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Jonathan UK

That may be a possibility, but I didn't do the steps listed in the linked article. I'm beginning to think it was just a random electronic fluke. As I have almost 50 years experience with electronics, I've seen a lot of strange things. Sometimes if we couldn't explain why something had happened, we would say it was caused by "characteristics inherent in the circuit"! 😁

What does the blue status icon mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.