Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Franklin Planner-type app & Note-taking app

Having been a long time Franklin Planner user, I have bought many apps to try and fill that purpose on my iPad. I have also bought 6 - 8 note taking apps with the intent of going paperless at work. So far with a bamboo stylus and 2 or 3 apps designed to work on my iPad Air 2, it just wasn't reliable enough (would skip too often to be reliable) to be trusted in an important meeting. I just bought the iPad Pro thinking that this will be as good as it gets for these 2 purposes. The apple pencil has not arrived yet. But I wanted to reach out to see if anyone else has traveled this path and if so what apps have you found to be the best for a business planner and for business note taking. Thanks in advance for your help.

iPad

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 11:54 AM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2017 5:02 PM in response to Timothy Simmons

Around 2002, Franklin Covey came out with a Tablet PC version of their paper planners. I still use it on my Surface today - OS after WinXP makes it very unstable. Also, it doesn't "talk to" Outlook other apps that we didn't have in 2002 but now are part of our daily lives.

What made the app so good was it tied together calendar, to-do list, contacts and daily notes. While it had handwriting recognition, it wasn't great. What made it great was the ability to search your handwritten notes. So I could search on a persons' name, and it would pull up their contact info, every date that I had them on my schedule or to-do list, and most importantly, notes every time their name was included. It allowed me to carried years and years of Franklin Planners with me simultaneously. There's been nothing like it since then.

I've tried to talk Agilix (who wrote the software) as well as Franklin Covey into updating it but thus far, no luck. Too bad, it's the killer app for tablets.

Jan 5, 2016 8:28 AM in response to lsutigerdadonthebayou

Right now, I've got AnyList, Wunderlist, Evernote, and OneNote. I've just about settled on OneNote for notes. I've got the Apple Pencil.

OH how I would love to have a Franklin Planner App. Simple. Just like a paper planner... that uses Apple Pencil! I want to label my daily task list as A,B,C, and 1,2,3... and then... just maybe... SORT! I've had no luck with this part of my search.

Have you had any luck?

Apr 7, 2016 10:34 AM in response to lsutigerdadonthebayou

I will explain what I have done, and it might work for you, perhaps not. I have a hard copy of the United States Government Appointment Book 2016 that I use to write in to record the time I complete all my activities for the day, or record future activities. I do this so I can refer back to the days/times I completed actions. It is broken down into 15 minute segments...very similar to a Franklin planner Day Runner, etc. Since Apple Pencil is so doggone close to using a real writing instrument, I simply wanted to use my iPad Pro to do this same activity so I don't have to carry two items with me. Here is what I have done...

1. Installed the GoodNotes 4 app

2. Installed the Scanner Pro app make by Readle

3. I "scan" my hard copy Appointment book using Scanner Pro

4. I "Share As" PDF, tap "Open In", and then "Copy to GoodNotes"

5. The initial above sequence creates a New Notebook for you, which I labeled Appointment Book

6. Thereafter, using steps 1-4 above, if you have GoodNotes 4 open when you scan the page, it allows you to insert the page "Above" (prior page) or "Below" (next page), which makes it very convenient.

Why am I using GoodNotes 4? It allows for the searching for handwritten notes that I find extremely useful as compared to leafing through my weekly pages in the hard copy text. As far as writing, I also have found GoodNotes 4 to be extremely useful in rejecting palm resting, etc. An easy program to use indeed.

This obviously is not a straight-up app to solve the problem, but you know it really works for me. Using the steps above because I am used to doing it now takes me all of 5 seconds to get a new week's worth of appointments into soft copy that I can write, etc.

Note: you can use Scanner Pro app to "scan" anything into PDF form and then import into GoodNotes 4, such as Monthly calendar, etc. Just use your imagination.

Regards,

Tim

Franklin Planner-type app & Note-taking app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.