Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect to Airport Extreme via Windows PC remotely

I need to connect to an Airport Extreme remotely to do port forwarding. I'm using a Windows PC remotely and I know the ip address of the Airport, the userid and password, and the port number that I need to forward. Where do I start?

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 12:45 PM

Unless something changed in Windows 10......(I have not checked this version) a PC does not support afp protocols, and that is what you need to connect remotely to an Apple router.

8 replies

Nov 23, 2015 11:52 AM in response to Randy.Trotter

You'll need the Airport Utility for Windows, as Apple routers do not have Web interfaces.

AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows

After that, depending on what you mean by remotely, the utility may or may not be able to connect to it unless the Airport was previously setup to allow that.

AirPort base stations: How to view WAN and Wi-Fi MAC addresses - Apple Support

Scroll down to the section for connecting to a remote Base Station

Nov 23, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Phil0124

Having AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows will not help. You need afp.

The link that you posted.......AirPort base stations: How to view WAN and Wi-Fi MAC addresses - Apple Support........

is not applicable to AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows.....and it also assumes that you are using Back to My Mac.....which would not be available on a PC.

Nov 23, 2015 1:29 PM in response to Randy.Trotter

how can I tell if the Airport was set up to allow remote?

That is the big question, and if it was not, you won't be able to access it remotely to change the setting that needs to be changed. The setting would not normally be enabled for most installations.

So, I am afraid that the chances of success here are going to be very very small.

The AirPort Extreme needs to be in Router Mode....not Bridge Mode. Do you know how the AirPort Extreme has been set up?

Do you know the WAN IP Address of the AirPort Extreme? (It cannot begin with 192.x...or 172.x....or 10.x)

Do you know the device password for the AirPort Extreme?

Nov 23, 2015 2:16 PM in response to Randy.Trotter

The first thing is to find out if the option to Enable Remote Setup over WAN was selected when the AirPort Extreme was originally set up.

Open AirPort Utility on the Mac

Click the AirPort Utility menu in the upper left corner of the screen

Click Configure Other

in the Address field, enter the WAN IP address

In the Password field, enter the device password for the AirPort Extreme

User uploaded file

If the AirPort Extreme setup screens appear, you are in. If the setup screens do not appear, then someone will need to connect to the AirPort Extreme locally on the same network to enable the Setup Over WAN setting under the Base Station menu.

User uploaded file

Even if you have the correct settings, some firewalls will block connections like this. Not much that you can do about that other than try connecting from another network.

Connect to Airport Extreme via Windows PC remotely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.