Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to activate 802.11ac radio mode?

Hi!

Got myself a brand new Airport Extreme (and moved my old one to the bedroom for wifi extended).

After I imported my settings, i notice that I don't have 802.11ac radio mode via settings.

I have 802.11ac devices, and the max speed I can get is 400mps (when i'm 1 fit away from the router).

Firmware version is 7.7.3 (the latest).

1. is that OK?

2. I notice that in my bedroom the 5GHz internet connection is slow, while the 2.4GHz is much faster, is that also normal?

3. the AirPort Utility main page doesn't show my model

Thanks!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 10:33 PM

The software that you are using.....AirPort Utility 5.6.1 or similar......is not officially supported with the new AirPort Extreme, so you won't see anything about "ac" wireless. You need to be using a 6.x version of AirPort Utility or AirPort Utility on an iPhone or iPad. See the System Requirements of the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac to confirm:

System Requirements

Setup and Administration

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3
  • Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac - Technical Specifications

But...and this may puzzle you.......there is no Radio Mode setting at all with the newer versions of AirPort Utility, since "ac" is always automatically enabled and you cannot change the setting.

If you have a newer Mac that supports "ac" wireless, you can see if you are receiving an "ac" signal by holding down the option key on your Mac while you click on the WiFi icon at the top of the screen. If you are receiving "ac", then you will see 801.11ac displayed next to the PHY Mode setting.

If your wireless device does not support "ac" wireless, then of course, you won't see an "ac" signal. You will see an "n" wireless signal.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 10:33 PM in response to idov

The software that you are using.....AirPort Utility 5.6.1 or similar......is not officially supported with the new AirPort Extreme, so you won't see anything about "ac" wireless. You need to be using a 6.x version of AirPort Utility or AirPort Utility on an iPhone or iPad. See the System Requirements of the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac to confirm:

System Requirements

Setup and Administration

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3
  • Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac - Technical Specifications

But...and this may puzzle you.......there is no Radio Mode setting at all with the newer versions of AirPort Utility, since "ac" is always automatically enabled and you cannot change the setting.

If you have a newer Mac that supports "ac" wireless, you can see if you are receiving an "ac" signal by holding down the option key on your Mac while you click on the WiFi icon at the top of the screen. If you are receiving "ac", then you will see 801.11ac displayed next to the PHY Mode setting.

If your wireless device does not support "ac" wireless, then of course, you won't see an "ac" signal. You will see an "n" wireless signal.

User uploaded file

how to activate 802.11ac radio mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.