Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad Air battery completely dead after only 17 months????

In June of 2014, I bought a pretty souped up ipad. I already had an Airbook, but I wanted the portability. So now, 17 months later, the warrantee is expired, and the battery won't hold a charge. I was quoted at an Apple store that it would be $300 to replace the device, and that was the only option available to me.. i'm floored. this never should have died by now. Is this ringing true for anyone else? Has your device broken so early. I only used Apple charger cables. I wouldn't buy another ipad again if this is happening frequently with other people. If they are so disposable I'll go with a Samsung tablet. I hope that Apple rep was wrong. I've been very happy with Apple so far.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, purchsed in 6/14

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 1:54 PM

I Can't speak for the longevity of the battery itself since I have had pretty good success with all three of my iPads, the original, the 3rd generation and the iPad Air 2 which I have had for about 11 months and it is still going strong for now anyway. However, anything is possible. Not everything that is made by humans or by machines can possibly be perfect every step of the way. Some bad ones are going to get through the manufacturing process.

What I can state is that I think the Apple Rep should have told you that the battery can be replaced ....assuming that the battery is the sole problem with the iPad.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/battery-power/

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 1:54 PM in response to jennanne13

I Can't speak for the longevity of the battery itself since I have had pretty good success with all three of my iPads, the original, the 3rd generation and the iPad Air 2 which I have had for about 11 months and it is still going strong for now anyway. However, anything is possible. Not everything that is made by humans or by machines can possibly be perfect every step of the way. Some bad ones are going to get through the manufacturing process.

What I can state is that I think the Apple Rep should have told you that the battery can be replaced ....assuming that the battery is the sole problem with the iPad.

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/battery-power/

Nov 23, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Demo

There is no support article.

I went to my Apple Store. Went to the Genius Bar and asked about replacing my iPad 3 battery and how much it would cost?

The Apple Genius employee told me they no longer replace batteries in iPads.

He stated that they give you an identical replacement unit, instead. He stated the cost of the replacement unit was $279 U.S.D..

Nov 24, 2015 3:12 AM in response to Demo

Thanks for this Demo.

I couldn't find a date for that support article.

If it is up to date, then the Apple Genius guys, at my ApplenStore are just plain wrong!'

In addition, waaay overcharging customers by replacing iPads instead of replacing just a battery.

I took a picture of that support page so I can show the employees at the genius bar that this is not Apple's policy on battery replacement.

Maybe you can post this where it has to go in the Lounge area for me?

So, it goes to the proper area and to see what the Hosts have to say on the subject.

Nov 24, 2015 3:15 AM in response to MichelPM

I will bring it up in the FHB.

SInce posting, I did a little more research and found this.

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Notice the italicized type in bold about the battery failing the Apple diagnostic test. That must be Apple's loophole to deny battery replacement. After all, how is the average user going to be able to dispute Apple's testing?

Apple iPad out-of-warranty service pricing

Model Screen damage Other repairs iPad battery service* Apple Pencil battery service*
iPad mini, iPad mini 2 $199 $199 $99 $29
iPad, iPad 2 $249 $249
iPad 3rd & 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4 $299 $299
iPad Air 2 $379 $379
iPad Pro $599 $599

*Battery service is available only if battery fails Apple's diagnostic test.

Plus a $6.95 shipping fee, if required. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax.
Pricing is for service through Apple. The final service fee we charge will be determined during testing and may be less than the service fee listed above. Pricing and terms vary for service through an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Nov 24, 2015 7:34 PM in response to Demo

ThanX Demo.

That $299 price for other repairs may have been the $279 price the Genius Bar employee stated to me. Maybe he couldn't remember the correct price.

It's just that my wife and I have swapped iPads since I purxhased the iPad Pro.

I am now using that and her iPad 2 and she is now using my iPad 3.

Her iPad 2 was a hardly used demo model from an Apple reseller that I got a good price for on eBay.

The battery is still good as it has had only two years of continuous use.

My iPad 3 is a 4 year old iPad and battery and the battery is probably NOT going to last for too much longer before operational/functional issues begin to happen with the battery (faster discharging, problems with charging, not fully charging, dead battery, etc.).

I am trying to be proactive about this and I really just wanted to have a brand new battery installed into it before it fails (which may happen sooner than later).

I just cannot believe that I am being made to wait until the battery starts to fail before I can bring this into Apple for a replacement.

It's my iPad!!! If I want to replace the lithium ion battery now or in the near future ( no matter its current functioning status), I should have the right and freedom to do so.

And it should NOT be costing me $279-$299 to have the battery replaced!

Dec 1, 2015 7:21 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

I am trying to be proactive about this and I really just wanted to have a brand new battery installed into it before it fails (which may happen sooner than later).

I just cannot believe that I am being made to wait until the battery starts to fail before I can bring this into Apple for a replacement.

It's my iPad!!! If I want to replace the lithium ion battery now or in the near future ( no matter its current functioning status), I should have the right and freedom to do so.

And it should NOT be costing me $279-$299 to have the battery replaced!

I Understand wanting to be proactive. I would feel the same way. I believe where Apple draws the line is if the battery no longer holds 80% of the original charge as the point at which the battery needs to be replaced.

<Edited by Host>

Nov 25, 2015 7:36 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

If you had paid for AppleCare plus for your iPad purchase in June 2014, you would've had warranty coverage for your iPad for two years and the dead battery would've been covered and replaced for free.

Something to think about next time you purchase an Apple mobile device.

😉

Some credit cards carry benefits (usually not well publicized) including doubling the manufacturer's original warranty as long as the purchase was made entirely with the credit card.

ipad Air battery completely dead after only 17 months????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.