Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a older Airport Extreme and it uses Dual Band, My ISP is a wireless supplier and the have prohibited the 5Ghz band. How do I turn it off?

I have a older Airport Extreme and it uses Dual Band, My ISP is a wireless supplier and the have prohibited the 5Ghz band. How do I turn it off?

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 12:33 PM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Jay W

If your AirPort Extreme is a simultaneous dual band model......then it is not possible to turn off the 5 GHz band without also turning off the 2.4 GHz band as well.

If your AirPort Extreme is an older dual band version that did not support simultaneous broadcast of 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz, then the way to disable 5 GHz would be to enable the 2.4 GHz broadcast only.

So, the big question here would be.......what model of AirPort Extreme do you have? Look on the bottom of the device to locate the model number.....which might be embedded in the foam pad base. The model number starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. Post back with that info.

On a separate note, I'm not sure why your ISP would prohibit 5 GHz broadcasts, since just about every router sold on the planet in the last few years does broadcast a 5 GHz signal. You might want to get more clarification from your ISP.....or look for another ISP that is a member of the real world.

Nov 23, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob, Thanks for the quick response! Airport Extreme Model is A1354. My ISP uses 5 Ghz for something else in the area and they say that my 5Ghz interfere with my neighbors. They have offered to replace it with a single band but I would have to give up my apple Airport Extreme. No other Isp in this area except Satellite which is too slow and way overpriced.

Thanks

Nov 23, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Jay W

Your ISP is not telling you the truth.

5 GHz signals are much much weaker than 2.4 GHz signals, so it is extremely unlikely that they even have enough strength to leave your house unless you have the router mounted next to a window looking outside. Even if you do, the signal would not likely reach the street anyway.

If you want to believe your ISP......I repeat that they are not telling you the truth....then you must give up your AirPort Extreme.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.