Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to import music from external hard drive

Over the weekend, I installed a new SSD in my 09 Mini. I am going through the process of updating to El Capitan. I'm trying to get all my music, pictures, videos imported onto my new hard drive, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it? When I tried it the first time, all my music didn't show up in iTunes, but it was in my external hard drive (I'm using the My Passport for Mac). Also, there is a cloud out beside each song so I don't know what I need to do about that? My playlist didn't transfer over either.

What's the best way to import my stuff? Thanks!

Jessica

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 1:29 PM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

I tried Migration Assistant yesterday, but it didn't download all my songs into iTunes. They show up in my external hard drive, but not in iTunes. All the songs also have a cloud out beside them so I didn't know if I needed to click the cloud beside each song or not. Is there a different method to get the songs not showing up into iTunes?

Jessica

Nov 23, 2015 9:03 PM in response to Mike Lawrimore

I'm running OSX 10.95 on a 2011 Macbook Pro. ITunes 12.3.1.23. I recently used Gemini app to delete duplicates in my library. Unfortunately it deleted half my files. I now get messages saying original file unable to be located. Some are able to be re-imported via download, but most are not. The cover art, playlists ext appear to be ok. I have backed up my library onto a Mac for Passport prior to the deletions. I also have copied and pasted all the MP3's into another folder on that Passport. I don't want to have to go through the entire library and reconstitute it. Whats the best way to put it back together. I'd like to replace the library with the copied MP3's as the iTunes library had a lot of duplicates (the file information was showing 16,000 items even though there was only 7,500 in there) which is why I tried to delete them. However I'm afraid if I just import the copied MP3's that Ill lose the playlists, art etc. I've tried importing an intact version of the library from on the Passport but it reports I don't have enough hard drive to put it on there. I tried putting the current tunes Media folder in trash but that didn't work and I can't seem to delete it. Does anyone have any ideas. I'm using the latest version of iTunes

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Best way to import music from external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.