Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp fails: 'not enough space available on disk'

I am attempting to install a Bootcamp / Windows 10 partition.

The bootcamp assistant cannot create the partition due to the message:

Bootcamp installation failed. There is not enough space available on the disk.

Bootcamp then backs out and clears the the failed partition.

System:

Late 2013 Mac Pro using OS 10.11.1

System drive is a 1 TB SSD. Get info reports 999.7 GB with 308.7 available.

Attempted to create partitions of different sizes at different times.

100 GB, 75 GB and 66 GB requests all failed to create partitions.

Ran Bootcamp assistant from the Utilities Folder.

The Windows .iso image is in my documents folder.

Any insight as to a success path would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much !!

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 4:38 PM

5 replies

Nov 23, 2015 9:10 PM in response to Loner T

Thank-you for your prompt reply, Loner T !

Unfortunately, these three actions did not solve the problem.

(Though in OS 10.11 I believe that Disk Utility no longer has 'Disk Repair' only the 'First Aid' button

which doesn't seem to do as much as Disk Repair did. Am I looking in the correct location?)

Additionally, I deleted the .iso image and recreated it again in case it was corrupted.

With a fewer open windows, I noticed that 2 disk icons were placed on the visible desktop.

First, one labelled OSXRESERVED, followed shortly by BOOTCAMP.

The Bootcamp app then briefly displays a message saying 'Installing Windows Files'.

In a couple of moments, the message swaps to the one mentioned earlier and both disk icons disappear. Then, Bootcamp excises the aborted Windows partition.

(I must say however that resetting SMC dd fix one long standing problem that I had where the system fan never started and the Mac would overheat !

Thanks very, very much for that !)

Do you have any other insights or suggestions?

Thanks again!

Nov 24, 2015 3:53 AM in response to J0hn P

Let us test the next logical step. Boot into OS X Safe Mode - Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support - and try again. Thsi clears some caches, cleans up your file system.

The diskutil repairDisk command can be run from OS X Terminal, if you do not like the DU in El Capitan. This is one of the reasons I use CLI more than the UI.

Nov 30, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Loner T

Apologies for the late response. I was traveling for the holiday.

Actually, neither of these solved my problem with bootcamp, but did provide useful information.

When attempting to install in safe mode the system kept telling me it could not install 32 bit Windows.

The flash drive I generated the .iso file from clearly had both 32 and 64 bit Windows on the drive, but bootcamp balked at the 32 bit files.

Reluctantly, I downloaded an .iso image of just the 64 bit system from MS and tried again.

It would not install in Safe Mode, however Normal Mode worked just fine.

I did run into the dreaded Realtek audio driver issue on installation.

After reading the on-line threads, I restarted from scratch and was finally successful

Thanks to you and the rest of the community for your experience and support !!!!

Bootcamp fails: 'not enough space available on disk'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.