Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Noise from Macbook Pro 15inch when SSD is being accessed

Hey guys,

i noticed that my Macbook Pro emits a strange zipping or spring noise, when my SSD is being accessed.

I can reproduce it, e.g. when my system runs Blackmagic Disc Speed Test, or by simply launching the photos app.

It also occurs during scrolling in Safari or Preview, or by loading a new website, or downloading app updates via iTunes or app store.

It is a faint noise, but I can definitely hear it from a normal distance in a quieter environment. It is very annoying.

My question:

Can anybody commit this issue and make a test if you can also hear this noise on your machine.

Thank you in advance.

Yours macnovicius

My system settings:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 1:29 PM

11 replies

Jan 3, 2016 10:47 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have already been at an authorized service center twice, but the couldn't solve the problem, unfortunately.

They changed both the logic board and the SSD, but the noise still remains. So I thought to ask the community, if they have made similar experiences.

If it is a "normal" problem and every macbook has it, i think it wouldn't make sense to ask for an exchange.

Maybe you could run the tasks i described to force the sound and tell me if you can also hear a "zipping" sound. Would help me a lot 🙂

I'm a bit disappointed that the authorized service center couldn't help me.

Jan 3, 2016 12:06 PM in response to macnovicius

I have a retina MacBook Pro and have never heard the sound you are describing. As the SSD has no moving parts I can not think of what is causing the sound. The fans, very infrequently, come on but that is a fan noise. There are no other moving parts.

If the service center can not identify the sound there is no chance we can since they had the advantage of having the computer to analyze.

Why did they change the logic board and ssd?

Maybe check you hearing aids 😉. Just kidding 😁

Jan 4, 2016 3:22 PM in response to macnovicius

If you turn your Mac on, then the fans are running. Always. They idle at ~2000rpm, under an extreme load they can ramp up to ~6000rpm (this is the jet plane taking off noise.)

I highly doubt this is your problem.

SSD have no moving mechanical parts to cause noise.

Maybe you just need to turn up your external speakers a bit higher 😉

Noise from Macbook Pro 15inch when SSD is being accessed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.