Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I remove the iMovie library from my HD to an EHD, will it automatically start a new library on the HD?

So my HD is getting really full and I need to move the photos and movies folders off of it in order for any functionality. Was reading through some of the forums and wasn't sure. If I moved the iMovie library and everything iMovie into an EHD would the HD the next time it opened iMovie automatically start a new library? And if so, can I access the old library ever?

Do I double click on the library in the EHD to open up iMovie and the old files? What happens there? The older projects and everything are only in that library? The other folders in the movies folder... what happens to those? (iMovie events, iMovie original movies, iMovie projects, iMovie sharing) Are those all old folders that are no longer really connected to the new version of iMovie? Because it seems like the iMovie library is completely separate from those folders now...

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 3:11 PM

1 reply

Nov 24, 2015 2:57 AM in response to mexico4244

In iMovie version 10 everything (except shared movies) is stored in libraries. Previous versions had Projects and Events folders. These remain after updating to iMovie 10 but they can be deleted with the Finder if all required projects have been updated to iMovie 10 and one does not want to use the old version of iMovie again.

You can have as many libraries as you like. You create new ones from within iMovie 10 and locate them anywhere including external HDs (provided they are Apple-formatted). You can move or copy projects and events to it from within iMovie.

You can also move or copy complete libraries with the finder (while iMovie is not running). When iMovie is launched you can connect to them by Open library > Other then navigate to the new location. Alternatively you can launch by double-clicking on the new library in the Finder.

All is explained in the help files at: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

Geoff.

If I remove the iMovie library from my HD to an EHD, will it automatically start a new library on the HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.