Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Truncate Silence

How can I truncate the all the silent parts of a track down to 3 seconds?

Mac mini, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 1:34 PM

10 replies

Nov 27, 2015 12:24 AM in response to ravmitterhoff

Hi, rav.

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do here, but can't youi edit out the longer passages of silence using the scissor tool?

1 - After highlighting the track/s you want to edit, put the playhead at the beginning of the silence you want to edit or loose.

2 - Use the scissor tool and cut the highlighted regions.

3 - Move further along the regions and reslect where you want the second edit to be, then highlight and cut again.

4- Highlight the cut area and delete.

If you look in the transport bar, that gives a time in minutes and seconds as well as the bar position. USe that to get your 3 seconds.

Hope this helps,

regards,

Scorpii

Dec 4, 2015 7:03 AM in response to ravmitterhoff

It's buried deep inside a context menu of a region.

- Click to select the region with you audio recording

Now:

- Do a right click to open the context menu

- Go down to Split .... and clock on it to open the sub menu

- in the sub menu, you'll find Strip Silence.

or:

- press ctrl-X .

This will open a window, which lets you adjust various parameters, comparable to Audition, but there's a waveform view, which lets you preview the result.

Best,

DaCaptain

Dec 4, 2015 2:06 PM in response to ravmitterhoff

One thing I didn't see before, and this may kill the whole point, is that you want the silence to not be actual silence? Just lowered volume, like an expander? Strip silence won't get you that, it will just remove entirely the parts that fall below the threshold.

The 3 second thing takes a few steps, but if you need those low volume (instead of silence) parts there's no point in explaining it - Audacity seems to be the better choice.

Truncate Silence

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.