Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In trying to set up Time Machine

In trying to set up Time Machine. I'm asked to create a Time Capsule in Air Port Utility - but Air Port Utility can't find a Time Capsule. So . . . how do I create a Time Capsule so that Time Machine can function?

MacBook/ OSX Lion/ Intel Duo

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 3:20 PM

A Time Capsule is an Apple device that incorporates a wifi/either router with a hard disk for remote storage.

For a MacBook you need to connect an external drive and format it with Mac format. Then Time Machine preferences will shot that disk as being available.

Also see:

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Aldaar

A Time Capsule is an Apple device that incorporates a wifi/either router with a hard disk for remote storage.

For a MacBook you need to connect an external drive and format it with Mac format. Then Time Machine preferences will shot that disk as being available.

Also see:

Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 23, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Aldaar

If you don't already own an Apple Time Capsule, you took a wrong turn somewhere.

User uploaded file

use this system preferences pane.

Attach your backup disk and select it with the (Select Backup Disk) button.

Turn on the ON button.

Done.

The first Backup takes from all afternoon to all night.

The second backup takes...

... I dunno, it already did a few more automatically in the background while I was doing something else.

In trying to set up Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.