Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So i want to upgrade my video card.

So here is the deal, backstory: i play a decent amount of world of warcraft, well since 2008. as well as being a graphic designer, (autodesk maya, and all adobe products like indesign photoshop and after effects and some premier). all that stuff seems to run fine, this computer has been a work horse and is still hanging in but i stray. here is my setup.

2 Apple LED Cinema Display

I am currently running 12g memory - probably gonna upgrade 4 more.

2x2.26 gHz quad core intel xeon

and a ATI Radeon HD 4870 512mb

oh and running OS X El Capitan (not thrilled but runs ok) version 10.11.1

just now noticing some lag in video applications and games, what would be the card to get?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), video card

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 2:57 PM

9 replies

Dec 3, 2015 6:31 PM in response to HelmutNewton

ok so now the version of the Radeon HD 7950 i purchased looks like the ones online. My mac currently uses (2) mini-6 pin to 6-pin connectors for my old radeon card (2) 6 pins on the card itself. The 7850 needs a 8 pin config and a 6 pin config on the card itself.

if i purchase the mini-6 pin to 8 pin and the Mini-6 pin to 4 pin connector should this just solve the problem?

Or will it pull to much power from what my computer is able to provide thus causing overheating issues or frying the logic board?

Dec 3, 2015 6:49 PM in response to oldmacdude

The kit I got from macvidcards.com had a 6-pin-to-6-pin and an 8-pin-to-6-pin cable included. Just plugged both into

the 6-pin connectors on the board. Runs perfect. I did a lot of research before buying, and plenty of other

Mac Pro 4,1 owners have upgraded to the HD 7950, either the "Mac edition" Sapphire version, or an EFI-flashed

version. There are some reports of overheating and fan issues, but overall it seems to be a successful combination.

Is your 7950 an EFI-flashed version?

So i want to upgrade my video card.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.