Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trojan removal

i appear to have a GENIEO trojan ? how can i remove it I am running EL CAPITAN on my MAC

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 8:21 AM

Clickhereand follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer,these ones. If you'd rather not remove it manually, you can instead runMalwareBytes for Mac.

MalwareBytes is a removal tool and doesn't stop adware or other malware from getting onto the computer. To prevent future incidents, avoid downloading software from sources other than the Mac App Store or the developer websites.

(136526)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 8:21 AM in response to derekfromthornton cleveleys

Clickhereand follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer,these ones. If you'd rather not remove it manually, you can instead runMalwareBytes for Mac.

MalwareBytes is a removal tool and doesn't stop adware or other malware from getting onto the computer. To prevent future incidents, avoid downloading software from sources other than the Mac App Store or the developer websites.

(136526)

Nov 24, 2015 8:20 AM in response to derekfromthornton cleveleys

To prevent future incidents, avoid downloading software from sources other than the Mac App Store or the developer websites.

To be fair to the users that get Genieo, Genieo likes to put a giant green Download button banner Ad on a web page that is intended for downloading something else. Because the Ad is so inviting, and the user is expecting to download something, they click it and things go downhill from there.

Because a developer may contract with an Ad company, they do not always get control of what Ads are displayed. Granted, if the developer would have a download page without Ads it would avoid this problem, but there are lots of developers, and it only takes a few.

trojan removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.