Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original PowerMac G5 Install Discs or Disc Images?

I am preparing to retire my once awesome PowerMac G5 tower and donate it to charity. I would like to wipe the discs and do a clean reinstall of the operating system, but I have mislaid the original install discs dating from 2004. Where could one find disc images of these CDs on line? I would figure they are in the public domain by now like the older Mac OS's.

My thanks in advance,

Raoul D.

Brussels, Belgium

PowerMac, PowerMac G5 2GHz DP

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 1:27 PM

Regardless of how old the OS may be, they are not in the public domain. Apple still owns the copyright on their creation.

You can find lots of gray machine specific disks on eBay, but finding the correct ones for your Mac would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Better to call Apple and order replacement disks for your G5. They'll ask for the serial number to make sure you get the correct disks for your hardware. Expect the cost to be about $40 for the two disks.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Raoul_Duke

Regardless of how old the OS may be, they are not in the public domain. Apple still owns the copyright on their creation.

You can find lots of gray machine specific disks on eBay, but finding the correct ones for your Mac would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Better to call Apple and order replacement disks for your G5. They'll ask for the serial number to make sure you get the correct disks for your hardware. Expect the cost to be about $40 for the two disks.

Nov 24, 2015 1:27 PM in response to a brody

Thank you all for the nudge in the right direction, but only two hour after I posted this question, I found my original G5 install discs in amongst the faded documentation of an even older PowerBook G3, leading me to wonder where I put the discs for the PowerBook... Oh well, one problem at a time.

Thanks again!

Raoul Duke

Brussels, Belgium

Original PowerMac G5 Install Discs or Disc Images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.