Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro freezes during apple hardware test

I'm having numerous problems with my 2007 Mac Pro. Repeated kernel panics, without any recognizable repeatable behavior. Sometimes it shuts down on it's own. Sometimes it refuses to shut down and goes to grey screen. Sometimes on startup it get's stuck on the grey screen. Sometimes it refuses to Safeboot. Most recently I did an Apple Hardware Test using my system disc and it froze. I let it go for about 5 hours to see if anything would happen, but it was completely frozen.

Do all these various symptoms say anything to anyone?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2007, 1TB, 7GB ram, UAD quad

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 3:44 PM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2015 6:11 PM in response to j.esler

If you have kernel panics, you have kernel panic logs. If you examine the logs, the first red flag is the same panic reason in the same routine each time. Next is checking for "usual suspects" in third-party troublemaking software.

If we are talking about a 42b silver tower Mac Pro, they do not get festering memory problems because they use Error correcting code memory and a Hardware assist in the Xeon Processor. Memory errors that cannot be corrected cause a distinctive kernel panic, machine check, often detected by multiple processors at once.

Nov 23, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Where can I find the kernel panic log and what should I look for? I've been taking notes on when they happen and it seems pretty random. Sometimes it happens on startup. But I suspect mail, it's behaving very strangely, really slow. And I spend most of my time working in Logic Pro so I've had a number of them occur then. But could it also be related to the failed Hardware Test? That seemed strange, I've tried it twice and the computer just freezes up in the middle of the test.

mac pro freezes during apple hardware test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.