Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

playing iTunes from external hard drive on new macbook air

i have a new macbook air i used to play iTunes from an external hard drive - how can i arrange to do this on my new machine - there isn't an iTunes media folder on the hard drive - becoming more confused as i read more on the net - am a novice 😁

MACBOOK AIR (11-INCH, EARLY 2015)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 3:50 PM

2 replies

Nov 23, 2015 7:42 PM in response to amarkfell

It depends upon what you have on the external drive. If you have media files only then you are missing the rest of the library which provides the complete iTunes structure. It is like a city library having a stack of books but no building, no catalog. The key file is called iTunes Library.itl. If you see this on the external drive try starting iTunes while holding down the option/alt key, then select the aforementioned file. If this file is missing then you do not really have a library unless you can recover your iTunes folder from your old computer and put it in your user folder on the new computer.

playing iTunes from external hard drive on new macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.