Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture El Capitan Not Supported

I upgraded to El Capitan yesterday. Last night I went to open Aperture and got a message saying I had to upgrade to the latest version. I click the Store, find the Aperture upgrade, and I get a message saying it can't be installed because it is unavailable for my Apple ID.

After researching the issue online, it appears this is because I bought Aperture on disc and not from the App Store. I read that you have to call Apple, explain that you have the physical discs, and that they then make the upgrade available to you in the App Store.

I called Apple and just got off the phone. They explained to me that Aperture isn't supported any more and that the update has been removed entirely from the App Store. They said my only recourse to use Photos. They said there was no way for me to use Aperture again after I did the upgrade to El Capitan.

I was running Aperture version 3.4.5. I simply need to get it to version 3.6 so I can use it on El Capitan.

If I can't get the upgrade from the App Store, how can I get it? I have no desire to use Photos.

I have over 10 plus years of photos in my Aperture library and no way to get them now. I'm freaking out a bit.

Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 6:25 PM

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 2:38 PM in response to lynchsj

Maybe you bought it on DVD originally? If you bought it on App Store it should be there but not if you bought it on disk..

I just took the leap from Mavericks to El Capitan. Aperture as far as I can see works perfectly.

As a boost when using the elderly iDVD, the bug in Mavericks making it incompatible with Aperture 3.5 library has now been fixed with El Cap/Aperture 3.6. How about that for backwards compatibility??

Nov 30, 2015 3:05 PM in response to lynchsj

lynchsj wrote:

Apple support really won't help me out - they say I have to use Photos. They said there is no way to get Aperture working again.

I know it's possible, but I can't seem to get the 3.6 update file.

Have you tried to request to talk to a senior Apple Support advisor? In some cases Apple Support did help, if we insisted.

Here is a happy user who got help from Apple Support to update to version 3.6:

Re: Aperture not working in El Capitan

Aperture El Capitan Not Supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.