Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Intel Quick Sync

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anybody here is using Final Cut Pro X on a newish iMac that supports Intel Quick Sync.

I have a MacBook and with Final Cut Pro X Quick Sync does work for encoding to H264, but this MacBook does not have a dedicated GPU, only the integrated Intel Iris. I know with my PC a monitor has to be connected to the integrated video display in order for Quick Sync to work. So I am wondering, if the new iMacs have dedicated GPUs, are they still able to use Quick Sync (from FCP X)?

Cheers

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 5:05 PM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2015 9:18 AM in response to streamworksaudio

Thanks for the info guys!

I went into an Apple store and rendered out some of the demo projects in Final Cut Pro X, the speeds were very decent to say the least.

I did a render on the iMac (base unit) as well as on a MacBook Pro 15" base unit. I found that the MacBook Pro rendered faster. I am thinking that the Quick Sync on the CPU's maybe faster (between the 2 CPUs used) on the MacBook, thus the faster render times, even though the iMac had the AMD GPU.

I then came home and tried to render on my PC with my NLE using Quick Sync, and it was no where near the same speed - even though spec wise, my PC should blow the doors off either the iMac or the MacBook Pro.

Nov 26, 2015 2:02 PM in response to streamworksaudio

This article spells out the evolution of Quick Sync:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

The base iMac isn't all that powerful. It's clocked at 1.6GHz while the base MBP is clocked at 2.7GHz. That is a huge difference. The i7 processor is much more powerful overall being a "virtual 8-core" machine (using "Hyper-Threading" which is very different than "Turbo Boost"). [Just sayin'... it's available on both machines.]

Sometimes these nit-picking issues make a difference.

According to the linked article, Quick Sync starting with the "Haswell" chips are optimized for speed. Even though Macs have been using Core i5 and i7 Intel chips for some time now, each generation has been markedly "more efficient" (faster — better than can be accounted for with clock speeds.)

If you're buying for speed and you don't need a laptop, then "invest" in the technology that will deliver that speed (higher end iMac.) I also recommend at least the Fusion drive, plenty of RAM and the best GPU you can afford (greatest amount of vRAM available.) [The GPU choice alone will narrow down which Mac will have to buy most likely.] The last is NOT least! It will determine how long your Mac will be "current" down the road. FCPX and Motion are exceptionally vRAM hungry. Laptop bus speeds are notoriously slower than their desktop "equivalents" (power differences, disk drives, etc.) and the true speed of any machine is the bus!

In the case of Mac vs PC, it's the OS differences. Windows cannot divorce itself from the wide variety of hardware options it has to deal with. Back in 1995, I had a 16MHz SE/30 that could out-perform a 150MHz Windows 95 IBMPC easily. QuickDraw was an amazing core graphics library. Back in those days, it was burned into ROM; an advantage Windows machines have never had because the hardware and the OS were never from the same company. Similar comparisons can still be made today.

Nov 27, 2015 2:01 AM in response to fox_m

Totally agree, fox_m!

I would just like to reinforce one of the points you made: NEVER again buy a mac with a rotating hard drive as the boot drive. Fusion Drive at the very least, a largish SSD is better. Even more so as the smaller Fusion Drive now comes with only a 24GB SSD. Plus, if buying for use with FCP X, you're going to need fast external drives for your media, anyway, so probably you don't need that much space in the internal drive. I'd take a 256GB SSD over any HD, or even the new 1TB Fusion Drive.

iMac Intel Quick Sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.