Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6S Plus Poor Call Quality/Microphone Issue

Hey guys, i have recently upgraded to an iPhone 6S Plus from my Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile) and have been told by numerous people on the line that they can't hear me or that I am cuting in and out. My wife has an iPhone 6 (T-Mobile) and I can hear her fine and her phone works fine. Typically, it cuts in and out when I begin talking after a pause. I am now tired of repeating myself or restaing numbers. I've had the phone for several months now and it's VERY annoying. This happens just about anywhere thus it is highly unlikely to be a carrier issue. I get at least two bars and my data connection is superb. I am currently on the latest 9.1 update. The issue is present while using the earspeaker or speakerphone so it doesn't matter which I use. People have told me that I sound a lot like I am using a radio that is cutting in and out. I've checked all my settings (Cellular and Accessibility) and they are all good (played with default and non default). I've also tried restarting the phone and resetting the cellular settings. The problem still exists. Anyone else have this issue? I scheduled a Genius Bar point entry have them look at it. If they can't figure it out, I will ask for a new phone and if the problem persists, I will ask for my money back. My Galaxy had excellent call quality and I use my new iPhone in the same locations.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1, 128GB version on T-Mobile

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 6:21 PM

7 replies

Feb 20, 2017 1:13 PM in response to s.macalpine

I'm glad I found this post because I have been having issues with my 6S for the past month. The callers on the other end can't hear me because my voice goes in and out during the call. I tried calling Apple support and they couldn't help bc the same thing happened during their call. I went to the Genius Bar and they ran the tests and said the phone was fine and passed, even though the tech heard what was happening since she called my phone a few times. She then replaced my SIM card stating it was a network issue, even though my husband is in the same network at&t and we've had it for 10 years, no problem. The problem continues to happen so I made my second trip to the Genius Bar and once again I leave disappointed them placing the blame on at&t. I have Apple care- but what's the point if No one helps. I'm going to call at&t next in a last ditch effort to not throw away the $ we just spent on this phone.

Nov 29, 2015 2:28 PM in response to SpeedJunky

Okay, so the Apple Rep did an Audio Test on the phone at the Apple Store and said the phone is fine. He then proceeded to tell me that the phone is made by imperfect human beings, thus it is not perfect. He also told me that this is true for when you buy a car, etc. I looked at him like he was crazy and explained to him that I don't expect perfection, I simply expect my phone to be able to place calls without interference. I mean, at the very least a phone must be able to make phone calls where both parties can communicate without interference. The rep told me that because there is nothing wrong with the phone he cannot exchange it for a new one. I asked, "What am I supposed to do?" He said, well you can try using wifi calling. I said, well I don't have wifi at work or everywhere I go so thats not feasible. The rep also told me that my Galaxy S3 used more analog signals and that this new iPhone uses more digital signals thus the experience can vary. I was like, "You're kidding, right"? All in all, I left the store not only VERY dissatisfied with the phone, but also VERY dissatisfied with Apple customer service. And this is after I come back to Apple from using Android for over three years. The reason why I wanted to come back was because of Apple's exceptional build quality and support. Talk about a let down. I am so disappointed! I just picked up a new 13 Macbook Pro for $2,000 and now I am VERY worried. I think my options at this point is to crack the screen on the phone and exchange it under the Apple Care or call Kurtis (CBS) in hopes for a solution.

Here is a video I made regarding my experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPq26eApfAI

Nov 30, 2015 8:20 PM in response to VicAnts

UPDATE:

I got a call yesterday from Ray (Apple Store Manager). He apologized for the quality of service I received the day before and offered to have my iPhone replaced under warranty in order to eliminate the possibility of it being a hardware issue. I was very happy he called and worked to resolve this issue. I picked up my phone today and was told not to restore from my backup. I came home, placed a call to my wife and the phone worked flawlessly. Then, I updated to iOS 9.1 and tried placing a call again to several people including my wife. The problem reappeared and my call quality was once again bad. I wish I backed up the phone before upgrading to 9.1 because now I can't go back to do more testing. At the suggestion of the Apple Store representative I spoke with while picking up my replacement phone, I contacted T-Mobile and explained the issue. The T-Mobile representative discovered that my SIM card is 14 months old and that I did not receive a new SIM with the purchase of this iPhone (at T-Moblie Store). She offered to ship me a new SIM card free of charge. I now have my fingers crossed; hoping that its the SIM card. I will keep you guys updated with this problem.

I also wanted to thank Ray, the Apple store manager, who worked promptly to help me resolve this issue and the technician I dealt with today at the Apple Store. This is truly the Apple support I expected from the get go. Thank You.

Dec 1, 2015 10:00 AM in response to VicAnts

I've also been experiencing the same issue with my iphone 6s: call clarity isn't crisp or all the bass has been removed from the sound quality after the 9.1 update. It dawned on me after having my phone replaced due to hardware issues, just as VicAnts did, that it might be the new iOS that is causing it. Once I had my new phone, the call quality was the same when I called another iOS 9.1 user. Unfortunately, no one I know with an iPhone has anything prior, but calling landlines, non iphone users, etc has generated perfect call quality that we're used to, so I'm hoping this is an iOS issue that can be addressed, rather than thinking my iPhone(s) are malfunctioning.

EDIT: I should mention that all members of my household that have iOS 9.1 on their iPhones and the call quality is the same on their phones as well, so I'm also pretty sure it's not just my phone.

iPhone 6S Plus Poor Call Quality/Microphone Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.