Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule drops internet

I have problem which started a few months ago. For no reason at random times my Router (Apple Time Capsule 3TB) keeps dropping my cable modem connection for internet. I am using Cox.

I replaced the cable modem with 2 different models - same issue. I replaced the time capsule with a brand new unit - same problem. It happens after various amounts of time. Often when I am not even at home. I reboot the router and all is fine again for a day or 2.... I cannot figure out why this is happening. I checked the logs for the cable modem and there is little or nothing indicating any problem. So I don't think the modem or cable connection is to blame. I don't understand what could have started causing this. But it's certainly frustrating. Any ideas on what I can check within my Time Capsule logs or settings to isolate this?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 6:44 PM

3 replies

Nov 23, 2015 9:49 PM in response to Martin Bonadio

Is your TC the tall one or the flat one? You did not specify a model and both have 3TB disks available.

What modems did you try? When you say two different models.. do you mean you replaced the same one twice or are they different?

If cox has available a modem gateway then I would buy that instead of a pure modem so that you can use the TC in bridge.

The TC is proving problematic particularly with the Surfboard model cable modems.. but that covers a lot of Arris models.

If your TC is the flat one, try downgrading the firmware to 7.6.1 which I believe is more stable.

THere is however no fix for the tall one.. it needs to stop having a role as main router.. Hence the recommendation to buy a modem router gateway.. or replace the TC as the main network router.. a cheap TP-Link WR1043ND will work well and you can use the TC in bridge mode for wireless and backups pretty much as you are doing.

Time Capsule drops internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.