Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to identify source of iOS sounds

This is my first iPhone... It rather randomly makes short sounds I don't recognize, and if I wake it up there is nothing obvious showing on the lock screen or in Today -> Notifications. No obvious badges.

I see people suggesting we go through the list of apps in Settings and check for enabled sounds. But that doesn't give any clues as to which app makes a specific sound. Under Settings -> Sounds you can go through the built-in sounds and edit each one, which lets you preview the actual sound. But that is fiddly and only covers a few of the noises the phone makes.

I guess an app can play any sound it wants to, without any other notification or log. And sound could be enabled without badges or notifications. But if iOS is making the sounds, shouldn't there be a notification to go with it?

On (old version) Android I'd just look in the Syslog and it would be obvious which app or system module accessed the sound channel. Guess I can't do that on iPhone! Is there some other way to track down who is making these sounds?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:02 PM

2 replies

How to identify source of iOS sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.