Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped my Macbook Pro

Hi,

As many people have before me, I dropped my MacBook Pro about 2.5- 3 feet from a table when I closed it, not knowing half of it was sticking off the edge. It didn't have any dents or noticeable damage of any sort. The thing is when I tried to turn it on, the white screen turned on and stayed like that for a while. Then a picture of a folder with a question mark started flashing in the middle of the screen. So far it doesn't do anything else. I opened the bottom to look for any damage there, but nothing looked out of place and I didn't want to mess with it... So now I'm just wondering if all is lost or what on earth to do with it... There are no Mac stores or any computer places in my area, otherwise I might take it there... Please help!!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 6:17 PM

15 replies

Nov 23, 2015 6:38 PM in response to Katyalatke92

Hold down the Option key while you start up and see if there is any drive that has Recovery in its name. If there is, select that and it will boot up some Utilities including Disk Utility that can be used to check/repair your hard drive.

If nothing comes up you need an older DVD for a MacBook Pro pre-2011, or start up again and hold Command-Option-R for a MacBook Pro newer than 2011.

Nov 24, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Katyalatke92

BOOTing from a Hard drive is much more difficult than reading data files from a hard drive. Mac OS X itself represents over 350,000 files on your hard drive, while the files you created and cannot reproduce through a fresh Install probably number only in the hundreds.

If your drive will not perk up after a Disk Utility (Repair Disk [directory]) you may indeed need a new drive. Don't be in a hurry to erase the old drive -- you may be able to salvage files off it later. If you have Trusted Backup, you have many more options for restoring your old files.

If you were able to run "regular" Recovery (as opposed to Internet recovery) there is still a working Recovery/Utilities partition on your old drive. When you get a new drive, get an enclosure or adapter to run it as an External, and you can use the old Recovery to Install the new Mac OS X on the new drive.

Nov 24, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Katyalatke92

Hi. Did you run disk utilities in recovery and if told you the dive was not repairable? If the drive is not physically damaged you might be able to erase the indented drive in disk utilities an go back to recovery and select the reinstall option. I would do this using a ethernet connection. If it will not reinstall and the drive is damaged, then you will need to replace it. Then reinstall the operating system. Doing this depend on what year and model Macbook Pro you have.

Nov 24, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Katyalatke92

The reason I suggest a new drive, stored temporarily in an external enclosure, is that is separates the Installation and running issues (which are perfectly doable on a Drive in an External enclosure) from the drive-swap surgery issues.

If you had been able to access the on-disk Recovery, it is often easier to do the Install from there onto the new drive as an external drive. But this does not apply in your case because your "regular" on-disk Recovery was not readable. Luckily, your Mac is new enough to use Internet Recovery. Those from pre-2011 can not do Internet Recovery.

Nov 30, 2015 9:44 PM in response to Katyalatke92

Did you remove the hard drive from the Macbook Pro? Or are you talking about the screws on the Macbook? Do not take the hard drive apart. It cannot be fixed in that way. Do you have an external hard drive. If you do you can install the operating system on it by using recovery as long as you leave the one in the Macbook pro ,in the Macbook Pro. Reinstalling the operating system through internet recovery, may or may not work. There is an arm inside the hard drive, not unlike the arm on a record player. If it scratched the disk when dropped you might not be able to erase and reinstall.

Dec 9, 2015 9:25 AM in response to my ginger

I have not removed anything but the screws off the bottom of my Macbook Pro and I do not have an external HD on me now. From what I have tried ( internet recovery was the only option that worked and it was not able to recover anything) I am guessing the HD was most likely scratched ...so went ahead and bought another HD. The thing is, I don't know if the warranty on the HD matters being that I don't even have a receipt from when I bought the notebook. Should I just go ahead and replace the HD? The only other option is to drive 3+ HRS away to get to an Apple store... I guess that is a stupid question though. (I am really new to all this stuff.)

Dec 9, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Katyalatke92

All 2.5" drives are strictly rectangular, with nothing protruding beyond that rectangular solid. Anything that sticks out beyond that is added for ease of mounting.

On some MacBooks, there are screws added to the drive that stick out on the sides. These may be used as mounting posts. On some drives, electrically-insulating tape is applied to the drive to keep from shorting out things on the drive's face against the metal inside the MacBook.

Screws that hold the drive together often have heads with unusual shapes, such as star-heads. These are used to keep you from dis-assembling the drive by mistake.

Dec 9, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Katyalatke92

He is a link to check your support. I can only get to this page as it tells me my version of safari is not supported. You will need to click on check coverage down on the bottom. I did this once on an Imac my daughter had. You will need the serial number for your Macbook Pro. https://www.apple.com/support/applecare/ If you bring it in to the genius bar ,they will look it up using the serial number also.

Dropped my Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.