Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficult to find software? MacBook Pro.

Hi. This is my first Mac (yeah, I'm a Windows convert).

I develop web sites, and I'm having a difficult time finding a good code editor for html5, css, and jquery. If I try to get something open-source, like Atom.io (from GitHub), then my MacbookPro says this is a no-no... be careful. However, the Mac App Store has very few selections as far as code editors go. What if I purchase Dreamweaver? Would this Mac not like it? I have Xcode, but I don't see where it lets you code html5??

What do I do to get a deceit code editor in my new Mac World without security being an issue?

Jim

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 5:51 PM

12 replies

Nov 25, 2015 5:40 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence. I wanted to use Atom, but when I download, I get the warning message from Apple saying something like "This program was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" As a newbie to the Mac world, I don't know what's safe when I get those messages, and I don't have anti-virus installed because Apple Support person said there's no reason to. That just sounds strange to me coming from a Windows platform, ya know?

What's your opinion?

Nov 25, 2015 5:55 PM in response to JimG1701

OSx will always alert you when installing things that are not from the App Store.

Personally I use Aptana for heavy HTMl/CSS development. And TextWrangler for the lighter stuff.

http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3/download.html

As long as you keep to trustworthy sources, the warnings from OSx can be safely ignored.

Aptana, is perfectly safe.

Nov 25, 2015 5:56 PM in response to JimG1701

JimG1701 wrote:

Thanks for the info and links, Leroy. TextWrangler is available on the Mac App Store, but BBEdit is not. As a newbie to the Mac world, I thought it safer to only buy apps from the Mac App Store? What do you think?

I would not hesitate to download from well established software developers. Always good to use caution this is granted, but don't be hobbled by the App Store only mantra.

For me, even if it is in the app store, I still prefer to download directly from the developer site.

Nov 25, 2015 7:39 PM in response to dfloyd888

dfloyd888 wrote:

If concerned, you can always run the DMG past VirusTotal to see if anyone has any complaints about it. VirusTotal tends to be for Windows, but there is an uploader app for OS X now. This runs programs past a number of AV suites to check for bad stuff, as well as gives a place for people to comment or mark something good or bad.

Maybe I am missing something, however the online interface is limited "Maximum file size: 128MB"

Nov 25, 2015 10:59 PM in response to JimG1701

JimG1701 wrote:

Hi Terence. I wanted to use Atom, but when I download, I get the warning message from Apple saying something like "This program was downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" As a newbie to the Mac world, I don't know what's safe when I get those messages, and I don't have anti-virus installed because Apple Support person said there's no reason to. That just sounds strange to me coming from a Windows platform, ya know?

What's your opinion?

This is a bog standard warning. It's there to let you know that you're running an app, in case you think you have downloaded something else, that's all.

BBEdit, Atom are all excellent apps.

Difficult to find software? MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.