Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media folder setup & organization issues

How can I setup iTunes media folder, and include files already on my hard drive, without moving them from original locations? I realize there's an option for "copying files to folder" but I'd prefer to not have duplicates of files occupying storage space. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My operating details are as follows:

Windows 7

iTunes: version 12.3.1.23 (64-bit)

iTunes 12.3.1.23-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 6:38 PM

2 replies

Nov 25, 2015 6:27 AM in response to Dossier31

Hello Dossier31,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you want to manage the location of your media yourself rather than have iTunes have it consolidated in the iTunes folder, then simply disable the option to Copy files to the iTunes Media folder when adding to library.

Find and organize your media files

On the Advanced tab of iTunes Preferences, you can choose where you store and how you organize your iTunes media files. To open the Advanced tab, follow these steps:

1. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Hold down the Control and B keys on your keyboard to open the iTunes menu bar, then choose Edit > Preferences. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
  2. Click the Advanced tab.
    User uploaded file

From the Advanced tab, you can:

• Find and change the iTunes Media folder location.
  • Keep your media folder organized, and make sure that media you add to iTunes is copied to the folder.

Locate and organize your iTunes media files

Take care.

Media folder setup & organization issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.