Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm quietly going insane...how do I save files to a disk? Does disk need to be formatted? If so, how? Looked in *three* mac books and couldn't find answer. Pls help. Thanks.

I'm quietly going insane...how do I save files to a disk? Does disk need to be formatted? If so, how? Looked in *three* mac books and couldn't find answer. Pls help. Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:00 PM

7 replies

Nov 23, 2015 8:16 PM in response to PenelopeO

Hi. If you are wanting to save file you can do it by way of an external drive. It needs to be formatted to Guide partition and Mac os extended journaled. Then you can use your built it Time Machine to do so.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201909 https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250 If you have a DVD drive you can use that for individual files. Use a DVD/RW though. Then you drop the files into the drive and burn then. You can use the external drive to store just file only and not copy your system. Just don't use Time Machine. It would be drag and drop.

Nov 23, 2015 8:54 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Thank you for replying to my questions. Unfortunately, I don't understand any of the answers anyone's given! 😟

I'm not sure I have an external drive. I have a disk drive that's built into the computer - is that the external drive?

I just want to pop in a blank disk into my computer and save some files to it, and give the disks to some family members. I've tried using the save option, but I'm not given the option to save anything to disk. No disk drives are listed, at least as far as I can tell.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.