Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record guitar with a contact microphone?

I am trying to figure out how to record a guitar with a contact mic on it, with my iPhone. The contact mic has a 1/4 inch female audio jack, so I had to connect it to a 1/4 inch male to 3.5mm female mini-jack converter. Then a 3.5mm male-to-male 12 ft TRRS (3-band, 4-conductor) cable, which is connected to a headphone/mic TRRS 4-pole Y adapter which is plugged into the headphone jack of my iPhone.

So basically: Contact mic -> audio-to-mini cable -> mini extender cable -> Y-adapter's mic jack (my headphones are plugged into the Y-adapter's other jack) -> iPhone.

This doesn't work. The app is still just using the iPhone's internal mic.

Having a hard time figuring out what cable(s), or maybe what app, I need here.

Thanks

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:40 PM

5 replies

Nov 25, 2015 8:42 AM in response to Rudegar

Rudegar wrote:

guitar and external mic would give about the same audio input even though the volume could be different

line in, mic in it's pretty much the same

Not necessarily, Line in (should be) 0.775v peak to peak, Mics (Dynamic) are much less than that or (condensor) quite a lot more.

But the audio stages of a Mac are so bad it hardly matters how bad the match is.

How to record guitar with a contact microphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.