Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro &Pencil and handwriting recognition?

Does anyone have any experience using the iPad Pro & Pencil for handwriting recognition? It seems that the iPad Pro & Pencil are great for taking notes and keeping a picture copy of your notes.

However, is there any handwriting recognition software (built in or 3rd party) to recognize the characters and convert to typed text? If you have any experience, please post your experience and software that you use. I am hoping that the iPad Pro & Pencil will be useful in the medical setting where one is interviewing a patient and taking notes that can be inserted digitally into the medical record. Thanks!

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 9:11 PM

6 replies

Feb 3, 2016 8:17 AM in response to cm477

I'm trying to get this to work, because an iPad Pro / Pencil combo is exactly the sort of mobile writing platform I'm looking for!

The best I've seen is the 'MyScript Stylus' app. It gives you a new keyboard that will work with multiple other apps (Word, Pages, Docs, Werdsmith, etc.)

Basically when you open your normal keyboard - click on the globe and get the emoticons keyboard - click on ABC and finally the handwriting entry pad opens up. Its a bit convoluted but when you get used to it it isn't that bad.

Then its like the old timey Apple Newton. You hand write in the box down at the bottom and its converted to text. It is not perfect, but better than I would have expected.

Thus far I have not found what I really want, which would be something like the 'Memo' app where I can write on the screen, same as I would naturally write on paper, and then the handwriting would be converted to text. You can hand write in 'Memo' (and MyScript Smart Note) and then EXPORT as text but I've had mixed results with that.

Let's just hope Apple has something better in the works.

Feb 3, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Mike J Seattle

7notes premium is a note app with hand writing recognition built in, as does I believe Notability, WritePad Pro, and WritePad (different app than WirtePad Pro) has had that ability for years.

Search for those or just "handwriting recognition" in the store and there are numerous note apps to choose from. I don't think any are free apps though.

Feb 23, 2016 3:50 AM in response to cm477

Hi

I am using Myscript Memo which is excellent - I think the conversion goes to a server and gets sent back as it doesn't work with wifi off.

The other great one is Good Notes - it's a fantastic app, well worth the money. It even manages to get around 95% of my awful cursive (read scrawl) translated. That is built into the app.

Feb 24, 2016 11:04 AM in response to cm477

I've tried most of the apps mentioned above in the last few days and the best is MyScript Stylus. It's a replacement keyboard, so you can use it with any app. It is slightly temperamental (for example, trying to correct text after it has been recognised usually crashes Safari and *always* crashes Chrome), but it works perfectly with OneNote and WordPress, which are the apps I use most. Accuracy is about 95%, depending on your handwriting (mine is terrible), but as my touch typing is no more accurate (even with a real keyboard), I don't mind that.

iPad Pro &Pencil and handwriting recognition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.