Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPhone for the first time that already has data on it ?

My mom has had her iPhone for quite awhile (1 or 2 years) and has still yet to sync it on her desktop computer. She's not very good with technology so I'm the one that needs to do it, but would syncing her phone with a computer, while already having a lot of data on it (photos, videos, contacts, apps, etc.) affect that at all? The only time I've synced my phone was right when I would get a new one so it didn't already have any data on it so I'm not sure how I would go about this if the phone already has a lot of data. We also share the same apple account (I'm currently in the process of making us separate iCloud accounts, while still sharing an account for purchasing things). If anyone could help me out with this, that would be awesome. Thanks, in advance!

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:12 PM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 7:15 AM in response to bethannnn19

Hi bethannnn19,

Since you and your Mom are currently using the same Apple ID for both iCloud and iTunes, I would suggest first backing up her iPhone to iCloud if you have not already been doing that. Then create a separate Apple ID for each of you to use for iCloud. Backup to your new iCloud Apple ID before connecting your iPhones to a computer. You don't really need to sync to a computer if you are using iCloud for photos and music. Here is some general information to get you started.

Set up your Apple ID for iCloud and iTunes
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

Use one Apple ID for iCloud and a different Apple ID for Store purchases

You can use different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases and still get all of the benefits of iCloud.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. When you first set up your device with iOS 5 or later, enter the Apple ID you want to use with iCloud. If you skipped the setup assistant, sign in to Settings > iCloud and enter the Apple ID you’d like to use with iCloud.
  2. In Settings > iTunes and App Stores, sign in with the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases. You might need to sign out first to change the Apple ID.

Mac or PC

1. Enter the Apple ID that you want to use with iCloud on your computer:
    • Mac: Enter your Apple ID in Apple () menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
    • Windows 8: Enter your Apple ID in the iCloud Control Panel. To access the iCloud Control Panel:
      1. Move the pointer to the upper-right corner of the screen to show the Charms bar.
      2. Click the Search charm.
      3. Then click the iCloud Control Panel on the left.
    • Windows 7 and Vista: Enter the same Apple ID in Control Panel > Network and Internet > iCloud.
  2. Enter the Apple ID you want to use for Store purchases in iTunes:
    • iTunes 10: Store > Sign In.
    • iTunes 11 or later: iTunes Store > Quick Links: Account.

If you're using Windows 7 or 8 and can't see the menus, learn how to turn on iTunes menus.

Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID for your iTunes Store account, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days.

Learn more

Learn more about Apple ID.

If you use a different Apple ID for iTunes and iCloud, and want to restore from a backup, first enter your Apple ID for iCloud. After your device restarts, you'll be asked to enter the Apple ID that you use with the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Learn more about backups in iCloud and iTunes.

Once you have your separate Apple IDs created for iCloud, you might also want to consider Family Sharing to continue to share your iTunes purchases, photo albums and calendars with your Mom. If you don't want to do this, you can continue to sign in to the iTunes Store with the current Apple ID you are both using; but sign in to iCloud with your new Apple IDs.

iCloud
http://www.apple.com/icloud/

Family Sharing
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201060

Have a great day!

Syncing iPhone for the first time that already has data on it ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.