Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing 24bit 5.1 channel alac m4a files

iTunes can't import 24-bit Multichannel Apple Lossless (ALAC) m4a files.

This has been a known issue. See the following:

How to play 5.1 audio files

I'm sitting on hundreds of 24-bit 5.1 Channel FLAC files, and no matter which method I use to convert them into ALAC (either m4a or AIFF), iTunes can't add them to my library. If I convert them into 2.1 Channel (with same 24-bit) m4a files, they work fine. For most people, converting to 2.1 channel would suffice, but there are some audiophiles out there with 5.1 surround sound system.

For testing purpose, if I add low profile multichannel HE-AAC audio, they work fine.

Thus, to me at least, it seems that the problem is not about multi channel audio itself, but it's about Hi-Res multi channel audio files. Interestingly enough, all the files are played without any problem with QuickTime Player. What's more interesting, as you can see from the link above, if you change the file extension m4a to mov, they are added to iTunes library! It's actually added to Music library, not Movie library. If you right click it and click Get Info, iTunes even knows that it is 24 bit Multichannel Lossless audio!

So, looks like the problem is solved with this method, but unfortunately, my iPod cannot play the file. I can transfer it to my iPod but iPod can't just play it, since it only accepts mov files with stereo channel. For those who just want to stack Hi-Res audio files, yes, the problem is solved, but most of us want to carry them on portable devices as well (and of course, I'm not counting MacBook lol)

I desperately Googled this and that for hours, but can't seem to find perfect solution for this. I suppose Apple will recognize this as more and more people get their hands on Hi-Res audio files, but who knows? It may take years 😟.

To summarize,

1. iTunes, as of now, is incapable of importing 24-bit Multichannel m4a files, unless the extension is manually changed to mov.

2. Even if it's changed to mov, then iPod (or iPhone or not even iPad Pro) cannot play them.

So, if anyone happen to know the perfect solution for this, please share.

Any thoughts?

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2017 10:28 AM

I Just stumbled across this old thread... I verified your .mov technique works with 32bit ALAC as well. Thanks for sharing it! I suspect this is a built in feature/bug to avoid overly large files getting uploaded with iTunes Match.

5 replies

Nov 24, 2015 5:53 AM in response to double_H

Some thoughts:

It isn't an "issue". Is it an "issue" if iTunes won't open my WordPerfect files?

I would not hold your breath on Apple "solving" this. We don't know what Apple is planning but since Apple does not sell high resolution files there is no ostensible reason for them to support them in software that has really become a marketing tool for the iTunes Store. That goes double for Windows users like yourself (who, by the way, posted on the iTunes for Mac forum) since iTunes is free and Apple doesn't make any money if you use it to play other sourced files. Oh yes, it would be nice if it did all kinds of things but don't forget the underlying business economics to all this.

Frankly 24bit, multi-channel files are still pretty unusual. I know I have none. iTunes is not DJ or audiophile software. It is a media player and marketing tool for the everyday consumer.

Nov 24, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks for your interesting thoughts.

I clearly think this is an issue, as iTunes clearly says it can handle Apple Lossless audio files without specifying it more clearly. I'm not trying to force iTunes to play audio formats that are not supported. Look up technical specifications of iTunes, iPods (all generations), iPhones (all generations) and iPad (all generations). They stated that all of the devices can play Apple Lossless audio files. It doesn't say anywhere that the devices do not handle 24-bit multichannel audio files, and not specifying clearly could lead to this type of misunderstanding. It was indeed surprising to me, because for all other formats, especially video formats, they stated which files would be played rather much clearly.

If a company advertises something, and you buy their product for it, and if you find the features in the ad are only partially working, wouldn't you say it's an issue either to the product or the company?

The fact that iTunes is free does not mean Apple has no responsibility of any kind. All I want is either their technical specifications corrected or make an update according to the current specifications.

And about posting this on Mac forum as a Windows user, that's totally on me. I must have chose wrong category, but this issue is known for all platform, not limited to Windows, so I don't think there is a problem there.

Anyway, all I mentioned is just a suggestion. I understand there are not much of population having this problem. But the population will grow in time. I'm not blaming Apple for making iTunes not compatible with all existing audio formats out there. I like iTunes, and I've been using Apple devices for years, and I'd like to keep using them. As technology develops, people demanding more and company trying to satisfy them are inevitable. Let's not forget that business economics.

Nov 24, 2015 7:16 AM in response to double_H

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/159456/can-itunes-now-play-hd-music-fil es-in-high-definition

The issue you are experiencing is probably with playing 5.1 files. Surround sound outside the movie realm is not something I consider standard at all.

Apple used to be better about posting technical specifications but in recent years has tended towards vague statements such as "will play supported formats", not actually stating anywhere what those formats are. If you post a statement like that you do not have to worry about updating a page as frequently, and it also won't challenge the minds of users who might get horribly confused in reading something more specific. 😝

Dec 31, 2015 11:29 PM in response to Limnos

I found this string when I was having an issue importing DTS 5.1 audio files into iTunes so I can play album files on an AppleTV on my home theatre system.

While I wasn't able to figure things out technically, I was able to import the files into iTunes via an application called "Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate".

I imported the .wav files I had into this tool and selected an "Apple TV 3" format which converted it to an MPEG-4 video file with no video (.mv4). It created a multi and dolby digital 5.1 mix so if I play it on my portable device it's in stereo and if I play it on through the Apple TV on my receiver it plays in 5.1 format (the receiver doesn't show "DTS" just dolby digital).

Not sure if that helps anyone but that was the only way I could bring in my 5.1 audio CDs into iTunes.

importing 24bit 5.1 channel alac m4a files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.