Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"o1dbrowserplugin.plugin"—I guess that's a legitimate file?

In cleaning malware out of my MacBook Pro (8,1; running OS X 10.9.5), I noticed this file:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/o1dbrowserplugin.plugin

Searching for that filename, I find some hits here, but it's just part of a block pasted in from a report. I don't see where this file is actually discussed.

I did find this Tweet indicating that it's a legit file associated with Google Hangouts, but those folks were as suspicious as I was. After all:

• The name by no means indicates its purpose.
  • I originally read that second character as "l" (a lowercase "ell") and not a "1" (one), and "oldbrowserplugin" seems like something I shouldn't need here in the Third Millennium.
  • When I realized that it was "o1d," I really got suspicious, because misspelling "old" with a lookalike character seems like the doings of a spammer or other malingerer.

Have you been puzzled by this, too? I guess I'll leave the file alone in my MBP, but if someone did delete it, are there known issues that they should be on the lookout for?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 11:38 PM

1 reply

"o1dbrowserplugin.plugin"—I guess that's a legitimate file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.