Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whenever I try to sync my ipod, I get an error saying that "Attempting to copy to the disk" Windows 8_OS" has failed. The device is not connected"

I have windows 10, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of iTunes, my ipod 5th gen is working fine and I'm using a brand new standard issued lightning cord, I've checked my Windows 8 disk and there is no issue I can find. I've never had this problem before and I'm not sure how to fix it.

iPod touch, iOS 8.3

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 1:11 AM

15 replies

Nov 26, 2015 1:25 AM in response to Maksm

Try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

tt2

Nov 27, 2015 8:35 AM in response to turingtest2

I disabled Norton but that didn't help either. My laptop keeps saying my iPod malfuctioned, but it works fine and the cord is brand new when I get it from the apple store, and iTunes stalls when it tries to transfer my purchases from my iPod to iTunes( I can still click around iTunes but the blue bar that tracks my sync won't move) and McAfee isn't installed on my computer it's files are just on my laptop. I only had a 6 month subscription to them that came with this laptop when I bought it.

Nov 27, 2015 8:48 AM in response to Maksm

If syncing isn't working as it is supposed to the following steps should work:

1. Backup your device
  2. Restore as a new device
  3. Restore the backup made earlier

A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

tt2

Whenever I try to sync my ipod, I get an error saying that "Attempting to copy to the disk" Windows 8_OS" has failed. The device is not connected"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.