Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS app installations fail. Account related?

Everyday, there are some updates on my iPhone. When I choose to update, 1 or 2 will install fine, and the other ones hang. The app icon remains in a half installation state, see attached. I then need to reboot my iPhone and repeat the update.

User uploaded file

We all use my Apple ID in the family. On other device has the same issues (iPod Touch), so I'm thinking this could be account related?

Anyone else have this issue, and hopefully also an answer to it?

- Already did a fresh install

- Tried both on wifi and 4G

Thx!

John

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 4:27 PM

i have had this problem since 8.4. I'm on an iPhone 6 with 9.1 now. I've restored, done a fresh install, and even had Apple exchange my phone under AppleCare.

Nothing has worked, and I want to throw my phone at a wall on a daily basis.

The best luck I've had is turning Bluetooth off before updating apps. That'll usually let me get through a few updates before the incomplete start happening. Then I shutdown/startup the phone again (and make note of the app that failed to update, 'cause while the app itself disappears from the phone AND the update list, the data is still there if you reinstall it), find the app in the app store, and reinstall it. I have a lot of apps on my 128GB iPhone, so there are lots of updates daily. I have to repeat this routine multiple times most days.

I have to say, my iPhone 6 has been the absolute worst piece of Apple tech I've ever owned, going back to the IIgs, and it's not the hardware; it's the way iOS runs (doesn't run) on it. Just had to vent a bit...

--Greg

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 4:27 PM in response to johnk2008

i have had this problem since 8.4. I'm on an iPhone 6 with 9.1 now. I've restored, done a fresh install, and even had Apple exchange my phone under AppleCare.

Nothing has worked, and I want to throw my phone at a wall on a daily basis.

The best luck I've had is turning Bluetooth off before updating apps. That'll usually let me get through a few updates before the incomplete start happening. Then I shutdown/startup the phone again (and make note of the app that failed to update, 'cause while the app itself disappears from the phone AND the update list, the data is still there if you reinstall it), find the app in the app store, and reinstall it. I have a lot of apps on my 128GB iPhone, so there are lots of updates daily. I have to repeat this routine multiple times most days.

I have to say, my iPhone 6 has been the absolute worst piece of Apple tech I've ever owned, going back to the IIgs, and it's not the hardware; it's the way iOS runs (doesn't run) on it. Just had to vent a bit...

--Greg

Nov 24, 2015 11:30 PM in response to johnk2008

I have an iPad Air 2 on the same account that doesn't have this problem (of course, it has a faster processor and more memory, which I suspect has something to do with this...). So it doesn't seem like something on my account. And yes, the updates look like the picture (with no buttons) for about 10 seconds before the App Store app finishes checking for updates. Then they disappear altogether from the list, and I have to search for them in the store (at that point, they have the cloud download icon).

Nov 25, 2015 12:08 AM in response to schmegs

hm... i can hardly imagine that processor power has anything to do with it, especially since your iPhone 6 with 128 GB seems to suffer from the same issues. For me, I believe the issue started when I started using public betas (9.1). At that point I reverted to 9.0.1, but that didn't solve anything. But you already have the issues way before Apple started issueing public betas.

I just switched to another Apple account and downloaded some apps, all went well. I'll wait until these ask for an update and see how that goes.... I do believe it has something to do with either 9.1 or the account.

Nov 25, 2015 1:11 AM in response to johnk2008

Found this:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/11/18/ios-9-problems-fixes/

How to Fix iOS 9 App Store Problems

We’ve been seeing complaints about problems with the App Store and downloading updates. This is obviously a big problem and it’s one that appears to be affecting iOS 9.0.2 and iOS 9.1 users as well.

There are two known fixes for the problem though they aren’t guaranteed to work for you. The first requires a reset. To do this, hold down the power button and home button. Users are saying that got rid of the issue.

Others are saying that they’v been able to rapidly tap “Update” on an app before the “Open” symbol appears. Some have said that they’ve had to tap upwards of 10 times for it to work but that it worked in the long run.

We’ve also seen this issue on older iOS updates and the issue simply went away after a short period of time. So if nothing works, be patient.

Let's see....

Nov 25, 2015 8:39 AM in response to johnk2008

The rapid-tap tip looks interesting... I'll have to try that (possibly later today if Apple pushes out a bunch of app updates).

I've tried the reset option a few times, but I haven't found it to be any more effective than just shutting the phone off and turning it back on as normal. Since the shutdown is less likely to cause problems (since it'll "nicely" terminate open threads, etc.), I've just continued to use that.

Hope this (or 9.2) works...

Jan 27, 2016 2:54 AM in response to schmegs

Hi Greg,

I think I found the solution (at least for me...), thought I'd share it with you.

After ruling out all other options, I have done a clean install without using the backup. Quite a lot of work....

All apps installed without any issues, until I installed the app Iconical, an app to create custom app icons. After I create 1 custom app icon, the next app I installed directly failed. Also after removing the Iconical app, the problems persisted.

So then I did another fresh install (...), now without installing Iconical, and now everything works like a charm again.

No idea if you have used this or a similar app, but in that case it might offer a solution for you as well.

John

iOS app installations fail. Account related?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.