Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mini 2 stuck in recovery..

My iPad Mini 2 is stuck in recovery mode, and won't exit, even with iTunes updating/restoring it. I'm on iOS 9.0.2. Any way to fix it? I've had it since last christmas, not even a year yet. So.. Is this covered by a warranty, and I can get it fixed by Apple, or can they do a manual reset of it? Thanks.

-JJ (John)

iPad Mini, iOS 9.0.2, Mini 2

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 5:57 AM

3 replies

Oct 30, 2017 4:11 AM in response to DosageGaming

hi i've been trying to restore a backup onto my brothers ipad mini 2 for around a week now, and im really close to just chucking the thing.

My brother has pretty bad learning difficulties and some of the programmes & apps he uses are actually pretty old versions, so we've kept his ipad on ios 9.3.5 ever since he bought it, but something went off and my daughter got her hands on it and now it's stuck in recovery mode and refuses to do anything unless it gets updated first!

Isn't there any way i can just restore with his latest backup without having to update?! Because i honestly don't think he would be able to manage ios 11.

Nov 25, 2015 12:22 PM in response to DosageGaming

Hi there DosageGaming,

It sounds like you are able to restore your phone with iTunes but it seems to remain in Recovery Mode. I would try force restarting your iPad first:

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

To force restart your device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If the issue persists then I would next try putting it manually into recovery mode and restoring again:

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it: Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home button for at least 10 seconds, and don't release when you see the Apple logo. Keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
    User uploaded file
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device.
    If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits recovery mode, you'll need to repeat these steps and choose Restore instead of Update when you get back to this step.
    User uploaded file
  4. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device. If you previously backed up your device with iTunes or iCloud and had to restore your device in step 3, you might be able to restore from your backup during setup.

If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

If the issue still is not resolved, that tells me you need service on your iPad:

https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/other/

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Nov 5, 2016 3:22 PM in response to sterling r

I have had a huge issue restoring an iPad from iCloud backup. All the suggestions I found failed until I stumbled across a solution by accident. I connected the iPad by cable to an iMac which had a relatively recent iTunes backup. I was resigned to restoring an older backup when iTunes told me I could not restore from backup until I disconnected Find my iPhone. This I did and noticed that the previous stalled restore from iCloud was moving again! I disconnected the iPad from the iMac and the iCloud restore completed access fully!!! iPad now fully functional again 🙂

iPad Mini 2 stuck in recovery..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.