Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Bootcamp after resize / Missing operating system

Hey

I stupidly resized my partition on disk utility and now I've lost access to bootcamp. Using guides on here I managed to get boot screen to show windows. however, when it starts to boot up a black screen saying 'missing operating system' comes up

Any help / guidance on this would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not great with using terminal / gdisk but here's some info that might help.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 1:48 AM

32 replies

Nov 27, 2015 5:30 AM in response to joeycrushed

1. Did you select EFI/GPT partition type when you started with Testdisk? If you did not, the displays may look a bit different.

2. This is expected. The list you see first is the list of unrecoverable partitions. If you press Enter/Return to Continue, you should see a list of recoverable partitions. Do not use left/right arrow keys in Testdisk, use only up/down and the 'p' (print) command.

Nov 27, 2015 7:47 AM in response to joeycrushed

Based on your diskutil list, I assume you are not yet on El Capitan.

Install GPT Fdisk (aka gdisk). Leave your Testdisk display and start a new Terminal Window. You need to use the following steps. If you see any error messages during the following steps, please stop and post back here with the error message. The following steps have values from your Testdisk output (and you can verify) in Steps 7 and 8. Please notice the'+' sign in step 8 (this is called offset notation). The text in parentheses is for informational purpose to describe the action being taken. Gdisk has one-character commands except when entering numbers.

Rebuild GPT4 using start/end offsets

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0
  2. P (print the full list of parts)
  3. D (delete)
  4. 4 (part 4)
  5. N (new part)
  6. 4 (part 4)
  7. 1161068544 ( - Start offset in sectors or the start point for Bootcamp part)
  8. +304078841 ( - Size offset, as opposed to End offset)
  9. 0700 (Windows part type)
  10. P (print list of all parts just to see what changes will be made)
  11. W (Write the new GPT)
  12. Y (Yes! really write the new GPT)

This will delete and re-write the GPT partition info for /dev/disk0s4.

Rebuild MBR to match the new GPT information thus resetting the Hybrid MBR. Use defaults for other questions (like partition codes). The only values that need modifications are the Boot flags and step 10. Accept all other defaults that Gdisk offers. Please see thesample Q&A as an example. These steps can be repeated if you make a mistake before you get to Step 12, otherwise start from Step 1 for these steps. Step 6 has numbers which are typed with a space between the numbers. Please see the sample Q&A before you execute these steps.

1. Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0
  2. P (Print list of parts)
  3. R (Recover)
  4. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  5. H (chooses Hybrid)
  6. Partitions numbers to be hybridized: 2 3 4
  7. Y (Good for GRUB question)
  8. N (part 2 boot flag)
  9. N (part 3 boot flag)
  10. Y (part 4 boot flag make NTFS bootable partition)
  11. O (print current Hybrid MBR)
  12. W (Write the new MBR)
  13. Y (Yes! write the new MBR)
  14. Reboot

Here is sample Q&A for this section. Please notice the Press Enter/Return.

Place EFI GPT (0xEE) partition first in MBR (good for GRUB)? (Y/N): Y

Creating entry for GPT partition #2 (MBR partition #2)

Enter an MBR hex code (default AF): Press Enter/Return

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): N

Creating entry for GPT partition #3 (MBR partition #3)

Enter an MBR hex code (default AB): Press Enter/Return

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): N

Creating entry for GPT partition #4 (MBR partition #4)

Enter an MBR hex code (default 07): Press Enter/Return

Set the bootable flag? (Y/N): Y

Test 1 - Does Bootcamp Volume show up in Finder?

Test 2 - Can you see files in Bootcamp Volume?

Test 3 - Can you select Bootcamp in System Preferences -> Startup Disk?

Test 4 - If Test 3 is successful, select Bootcamp and Click Restart.

Please post the output of the GPT and Fdisk commands for the record.

Nov 27, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Loner T

1. Bootcamp is showing in Finder

2. I can see and access the files

3. Startup not showing bootcamp

I tried booting to windows by pressing alt at the when booting up. It said that windows needed repairing (missing file winload.exe or something) - does this mean I'll have to get a windows installation disc?

Thank you for all your help so fair. You're a legend!

Joe

Nov 27, 2015 9:06 AM in response to joeycrushed

1. Do you have any third-party NTFS software (Tuxera, Paragon, NTFS-3g,...)?

2. Winload.exe can be corrected in one of two ways.

a. Use a Windows Installer disc/ISO - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home and build a Installer DVD or USB, as appropriate for your specific year/model of the Mac. Repair Windows Startup.

b. Download Paragon NTFS trial version, copy Winload.exe from the Windows Installer media into the appropriate directory as shown in the error message, and test.

Nov 30, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Loner T

Hey Loner T

Thanks for your help so far. I've tried to figure out how to find the 'winload.exe' file and use paragon & tuxera to replace it not to no avail. Any directions?

I've also tried to create a boot disk with a windows iso and I'm having issues with the burn completing. One problem after another!

I'm going to buy a better quality disc and another external hard drive today. Do you think it'd be easier to back up my files, delete bootcamp and reinstall?

Joe

Nov 30, 2015 9:23 AM in response to Loner T

So managed to burn the iso to a different disc. I booted it up from DVD and tried to repair but got a bunch of errors. I've attached screenshots.

I also did look for winload.exe file in the .iso file but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm wondering if it's because it's a lite version of windows?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

When I try boot into windows bootcamp I get this:

User uploaded file

Missing Bootcamp after resize / Missing operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.