Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do files moved from the download folder to the desktop end up under the dock?

Why do files moved from the download folder to the desktop end up under the dock?

iMac 27", late 2013

Mac OS 10.10.5

Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

3TB Fusion Drive

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 6:23 AM

12 replies

Nov 24, 2015 7:46 AM in response to rkaufmann87

1st of all, thank you for the quick response.

I left out important info:

I have a Downloads alias in the dock (right side of screen). When I move files, usually individually, from there to the nearby desktop (a little left of the dock), the file or files sometimes end up under the dock and occasionally almost completely off of the screen, under the dock.

I have Finder / View / Sort By / None

Finder: View menu, Sort By submenu, None subsubmenu - if that is the correct terminology.

Thank you very much!

rick

Nov 24, 2015 8:04 AM in response to macuserforawhile

Your work flow is a little flawed. Try not to move a file from the downloads folder to (right side of Dock) to another location on the Dock. It's best to move it to the location you want to store the file in. For example if you downloaded an Excel file, in your Documents folder create another folder called Excel Files and move it there or move it temporarily to a location on the Desktop.

Nov 24, 2015 8:27 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I do that to work with the file. I Have been doing it as long as there has been a dock (OS X .....14 years?) and have never had this problem.

After I am finished with the file or folder (reading, copying info, unzipping (automatically), etc., then I move the file to where I want it.

If I need to refer to it additionally in the near future, I make an alias for the desktop.

I have been very busy lately and have quite a few files on the desktop (about 100 - mostly aliases) and I need to work on reducing them.

I thought maybe there was a corruption in some underthehood files (preferences ???) for the desktop or dock.

I run Disk Utility fairly often (and only have to repair permissions occasionally) usually before a backup.

Once again, Thank you rkaufmann87!

Nov 25, 2015 4:57 AM in response to macuserforawhile

It's not likely there is a problem, however you can do some basic resets like a SMC and PRAM resets and if you want us to look for any obvious issues you can post an EtreCheck report. If you would like to do that, please do an EtreCheck report of your system. Please click the link, download the app and run the report. Once you have the report, please copy and paste it to your reply to this post.

Nov 24, 2015 9:14 AM in response to babowa

Thank you, babowa for this tip. I am planning to upgrade to El Capitan on the old 24" iMac in a few days, and the newer 27" iMac in a few weeks.

Do either of you use MS Office? I don't (just stuck with ClarisWorks, Appleworks, Pages), but my wife does for work and needs it on both iMacs.

I am still running Office 2011, but want to go to 2016.

Buy it for $149 and it can go on only one machine or $298 for two. $99.99 a year subscription for two machines. Hate to spend that kind of money, but ........

Thank you both!!

rick

Nov 24, 2015 9:13 AM in response to macuserforawhile

Your welcome, I use Office for Mac very casually. I can get it from work for $10 so it's no risk really. Currently I have 2016 installed using El Capitan, so far no issues. If you decide to use it, keep it up-to-date as MS updates frequently.

Other options are the web based MS Office clones and of course you can get Pages, Numbers and Keynote from Apple.

Nov 25, 2015 5:06 AM in response to rkaufmann87

"rkaufmann87

Nov 25, 2015 6:57 AM

Re: Why do files moved from the download folder to the desktop end up under the dock?

in response to macuserforawhile

It's not likely there is a problem, however you can do some basic resets like a SMC and PRAM resets and if you want us to look for any obvious issues you can post an EtreCheck report. If you would like to do that, please do an EtreCheck report of your system. Please click the link, download the app and run the report. Once you have the report, please copy and paste it to your reply to this post."

This post was actually the mose helpful.

What I found out was when I move a file from the Downloads folder a little left to the desktop, it would almost always instantly snap to the right. So, if I move it a little more to the left, it won't go under the Dock or off of the screen.

So, thank you very much for your help rkaufmann87!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.